A love for education grows in the Bronx!
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
1 person is interested
We are seeking dedicated volunteers to provide tutoring and homework help to elementary and middle school students at our South Bronx community center.
Masa's After-school Program operates on weekday evenings (Mondays-Thursdays) from 6 PM-8PM. At the program, students receive homework help, grow as readers, learn about social justice, and learn how to set goals and achieve them.
Masa's 2019-2020 After-School Program (MAP) will start on September 17, 2019 and run through May 28, 2020. Volunteers are admitted on a rolling basis.
Requirements are as follows:
- Ability to volunteer consistently for at least one of the following days: Monday (6 PM - 8 PM); Tuesday (6 PM - 8 PM); Wednesday (6 PM - 8 PM); or Thursday (6 PM - 8 PM).
- Able to commit to volunteering for all or most of the 2019-2020 academic year (college students who will leave NYC in May are still eligible to volunteer). When working with children, consistency is the key to success!
- Willingness and ability to serve as a tutor/homework facilitator to elementary or middle school students in an individual or small group setting.
- Willingness and ability to discuss topics related to social justice with students, including the Black Lives Matter movement, Indigenous People’s rights and histories and LGBTQIA+ rights.
- Attend mandatory Masa trainings and events (provided advance notice and multiple options for scheduling).
- Committed to following all Masa policies and procedures, including with respect to confidentiality
- Provide feedback on student progress and/or concerns to Masa staff.
Interested in applying? Fill out our interest form. For more information you may also visit: www.masany.orgor e-mail us at email@example.com
2770 Third Avenue, 1st Floor, Bronx, NY 10455, US
The mission of Masa is to promote educational attainment, committed leadership and civic engagement among underserved students living in New York City with a particular focus on those of Mexican descent. Through a variety of civic and educational partnerships, Masa provides positive guidance and support for underserved youth and their families. We encourage program participants to strive to their fullest potential by setting and achieving academic goals in our tutoring and mentoring program. Furthermore, by fostering cultural and civic awareness, we empower a future generation of active and involved citizens.
Masa provides after-school and mentorship services to students of Mexican descent living in or near the South Bronx. The organization relies heavily on the work of volunteers to serve the varied needs of students involved in the program.
Masa Tlanezcalli Center2770 Third AvenueBronx, NY 10455
- General Education
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- Special Needs
- People 55+
- Must be at least 15
- Orientation or Training
- Able to volunteer once a week, November - May
- Application, interview