Homeless Shelter Volunteer
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
6 people are interested
The Elizabeth Coalition to House the Homeless runs a winter shelter program, Operation Warm Heart, every night from December through March. Guests with no where to stay are welcome to a meal, hospitality and a warm place to sleep for the night. We need volunteers for every aspect of this program: host facilities, overnight supervisors and hospitality ambassadors. If you don't have the time to donate, please consider donating sheets, comforters and even underwear! For more information, contact Erica Rodriguez at email@example.com or 908 355 2060 ext. 302. Thank you!!
About Elizabeth Coalition to House the Homeless
118 Division Street, Elizabeth, NJ 07201, US
The mission of the Elizabeth Coalition to House the Homeless is to ensure that homeless individuals and families, and those persons who imminently face homelessness:
- Obtain safe, sanitary adequate temporary or emergency shelter,
- Are provided with a full and fair opportunity to secure safe, decent, affordable permanent housing;
- Are treated with dignity and respect by all segments of society; and
- Are not discriminated against in the exercise and assertion of their civil and constitutional rights.
The Programs and Services of theElizabeth Coalition to House the Homeless
Project Gatekeeper: This is the heart of our work with the homeless. Daily our office is open to provide emergency case management to anyone who walks in. Annually, we serve approximately 1,000 households. Our advocates are adept with the system and work with every agency that provides housing services in the area. While "advocacy" is the primary service, other service components are: housing search assistance, community education and Operation Warm Heart.
Operation Warm Heart: A temporary emergency winter shelter for the homeless that provides a warm bed, a hot meal and intensive case management services to our most vulnerable population. This program is housed throughout the community in various churches during the winter season. It is run solely on the kindness of volunteers and donations.
The Hospitality House Program: In NJ only those on public assistance are eligible for shelter as shelters require payment from a source. Our Hospitality House program is geared to working homeless families. Each family lives in an apartment-like setting while saving money, finding work and paying off bills. Intensive social work services are included in this program. Currently we have 3 houses (Ryan's House, Helen's House and Joanie's House) that provide transitional shelter to 7 families. Bernice's Place: This program provides after school tutoring September-June to homeless (including doubled-up) and precariously housed youth ages 6-12. The program includes one to one tutoring, education advocacy and special programming. On Saturdays, a recreation program is offered. During the summer we provide the same population with a Summer Day Camp for six-weeks.
We'll work with your schedule.
118 Division StreetElizabeth, NJ 07201
- Disaster Relief Care & Shelters
- Public Relations
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- People 55+
- Hospitality hosts needed Mon-Fri 4-6pm; Overnight supervisors needed everynight 6pm-7am; Host facility needed everynight 6pm-7am.
- Any amount of time you can give is much appreciated. Organizing a collection of blankets, sheets, warm clothing is also welcome. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.