Help Us Get More Food to Those in Berkeley Who Need It - Volunteer for Our Mobile Pantry Program
3 people are interested
The Berkeley Food Network is looking for ongoing volunteers to support our Mobile Pantry Program. This is a great opportunity to get out into our community and learn more about the great work being done to support the Berkeley folks working hard to manage food insecurity.
Our mobile pantries are fast-paced and a lot of fun. We work with amazing organizations in our community and the people we serve are lovely and interesting - and VERY appreciative. Our volunteers really value having the opportunity to get to know them.
Mobile Pantry Volunteers will:
- Help load food into our van at BFN warehouse
- Deliver to mobile pantry location and unload.
- Work with staff to set up and run distribution. Or serve as lead volunteer and run the distribution yourself!
- Greet pantry visitors and help with sign-in and food selection.
- Pack up "leftovers" and take back to warehouse.
Must be able to lift 40# and have good customer service skills.
For more detailed information about dates and locations, please visit our website: https://berkeleyfoodnetwork.org/events/ or contact us directly at email@example.com.
About BERKELEY FOOD NETWORK
1925 Ninth St., BERKELEY, CA 94710, US
To help establish a foundation of good health from which all Berkeley residents can pursue opportunity, the Berkeley Food Network aims to provide an innovative, community-centered network of food sourcing and distribution to alleviate the problems of hunger and poor nutrition in Berkeley.
The Berkeley Food Network (BFN) works to expand food assistance services to food-insecure Berkeley residents. BFN was founded in 2016 to help establish a foundation of good health from which all Berkeley resident can pursue opportunity by providing an innovative, community-centered network of food sourcing and distribution to alleviate the problems of hunger and poor nutrition in Berkeley.
Research shows that 24,000 people living in Berkeley are food insecure, 96% of them housed. Only 22% have access to food assistance programs. Our goal is to ensure that those remaining 18,000 Berkeleyans have regular access to substantial healthy food.
To close the gap between the number of people in Berkeley experiencing food insecurity and available food-assistance services, BFN:
- Provides leadership for a network of 48 member agencies that provide services to food-insecure residents of Berkeley
- Partners with Berkeley service agencies to distribute food to housed food-insecure populations at convenient locations and times through our Mobile Pantry Program.
- Runs a Hub Kitchen Program, converting recovered food into prepared meals.
- Operates a food sourcing and distribution warehouse and on-site food pantry. From the warehouse we operate a robust food recovery program and redistribute our recovered food and food sourced from the Alameda County Community Food Bank to other Berkeley food-assistance organizations. We also run an on-site pantry open long hours.
We'll work with your schedule.
1925 Ninth St.Berkeley, CA 94710
- Bus/Van Driving
- Customer Service
- Food Delivery / Distribution
- Must be at least 18
- 3-4 hours. Opportunities available for once a week, twice a month, or once a month distributions.
- Volunteers must be able to lift 40 pounds - a great way to get your weekly strength-building work in. We are especially in need of volunteers who are comfortable driving our Food Transit van, which, by the way, drives like a dream!