Environmental Education Intern or Volunteer - Spring 2020
3 people are interested
Gowanus Canal Conservancy is seeking 3 - 5 Environmental Education Interns or Volunteers to assist with our Urban Ecology Program for schools. Each intern/volunteer will work with small groups of K-5 students 1 - 2x per week from April - June and will be responsible for helping to prep, clean up, and facilitate each 90 minute program.
Elementary school students propagate plants in our native plant nursery at the Salt Lot, an eco-industrial site along the Gowanus Canal. Through hands-on field studies and authentic multi-disciplinary essential questions, they will investigate biodiversity in an urban ecosystem as they explore human impact on this former salt marsh. Students will learn how they can have a positive impact as stewards of the local environment.
- Work with the GCC education team as a teaching assistant for our Urban Ecology Program (engage in some K-5 teaching and hands-on stewardship activities)
- Assist with lesson planning, program preparation, and team reflection meetings
- Opportunities for initiating own project of interest
- Training in plant propagation, site observation tours, Gowanus history, and best teaching practices will be provided
Experience / Qualifications
- Some experience teaching K-5 students in informal, outdoor settings preferred but not required (enthusiasm and interest is more important than experience)
- Background or some education or demonstrated interest in Environmental Science, plants and/or urban ecology
- Enjoys working outside, sometimes in less than ideal weather conditions
- Must be reliable, committed, responsible, and a clear and consistent communicator
- Part-time, April - June 18 2020, 3 - 6 hours/week. Most Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- There will be one required training in March 2020 (date TBD)
- Opportunities to participate in additional programs, professional development, projects, and events based on interest
This is an unpaid position. GCC will work with academic institutions as needed for internship or volunteer credit.
Submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Include information in your application about your schedule and availability for the internship period. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; early applications are encouraged. The deadline to apply is Friday, January 10, 2020.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Gowanus Canal Conservancy
543 Union St, Suite 1E, BROOKLYN, NY 11215, US
Gowanus Canal Conservancy advocates and cares for ecologically sustainable parks and public spaces in the Gowanus lowlands while empowering a community of stewards. We envision a Gowanus Canal and surrounding urban environment that is clean, resilient, diverse and alive.
Gowanus Canal Conservancy is dedicated to facilitating the development of a resilient, vibrant, open space network centered on the Gowanus Canal through activating and empowering community stewardship of the Gowanus Watershed. Since 2006, we have served as the environmental steward for the neighborhood through leading grassroots volunteer projects; educating students on environmental issues; and working with agencies, elected officials, and the community to advocate for, build, and maintain innovative green infrastructure around the Gowanus Canal.
2 Second AvenueBrooklyn, NY 11215
- Teaching / Instruction
- Environmental Education
- Environmental Science
- People 55+
- Part-time, April - June 18 2020, 3 - 6 hours/week. Most Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. There will be one required training in March 2020 (date TBD)