VITA Tax Preparer Volunteer
Campaign for Working Families, Inc
A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
14 people are interested
Every year, the Campaign for Working Families, Inc. recruits, trains, and manages hundreds of volunteers and interns who staff free tax sites across Philadelphia and surrounding counties, as well as South Jersey. In 2019, CWF’s Philadelphia and South Jersey tax sites provided over 48,000 taxpayers with access to important tax credits through free tax preparation, resource building and asset development services. Since our founding, we have brought in over $441 million in refunds to our region’s economy.
Purpose of Position: As a volunteer Tax Preparer, you will assist working families in preparing their Federal and State tax return utilizing online tax preparation software. Tax Preparers are trained to accurately apply tax law and identify any tax benefits for which taxpayers qualify
Reports to: Volunteer & Special Projects Manager
Time Commitment: Seasonal, Part-Time. January to April 15, 2020; 24 hour minimum commitment.
Training opportunities begin in November and run through January
Training: Candidates must be available to attend required training(s) or self-certify
Locations: Philadelphia; Delaware & Montgomery Counties, PA; South Jersey
* Certify at IRS Basic or Advanced tax preparation level (either via self-certification or our free trainings)
* Interview taxpayer to determine if all income, deductions and allowable credits are claimed
* Prepare only those tax returns for which training was provided
* Ensure no compensation of any kind is accepted for the services rendered
* Maintain strict confidentiality of taxpayer information and documentation
* Ensure a copy of the completed return is provided to the taxpayer
* Follow CWF procedures and guidelines as instructed at training and tax site locations
* No previous experience necessary!
* Requires a detail oriented, organized, efficient, individual who is able to multi-task in a fast-paced
* Attend training or utilize IRS’ Link & Learn (www.linklearncertification.com) online training system. If
returning volunteer, must re-certify for current tax year
* Must be computer proficient and able to efficiently utilize tax software. Willingness to work with the public,
volunteers, stakeholders, partners in a helpful and supportive manner.
* Friendly, dependable and flexible
About Campaign for Working Families, Inc
1415 N Broad St, Suite 221A, Philadelphia, PA 19122, US
Organized in 2003, the Campaign for Working Families, Inc. (CWFI) seeks practical ways to improve the economic status of individuals and working families, so that they can have the opportunity to increase their income, wisely manage their finances, protect themselves from expensive financial services and build assets. We work to increase the economic viability of low income working households so that they can plan for stable, secure futures and can participate fully in civic and community life.
YOUR EFFORTS CAN HELP PUT MORE MONEY IN THE POCKETS OF THOSE WHO NEED IT MOST: Low-income working families are hit the hardest in these rough economic times. YOU can help bring $60,000 in tax returns to Philadelphia households by joining our effort to provide free tax preparation services. No experience necessary; we will train you to become a Resource Builder, Certified IRS Tax Preparer or Greeter. Sign up today to turn your free time into money for Philadelphia families!