DONATE TO THIS
7 people are interested
Animal Care Internship
ORGANIZATION: WONDERS OF WILDLIFE NATIONAL MUSEUM AND AQUARIUM
Please visit the new page to apply.
DONATE TO THIS
7 people are interested
Animal Keeper Internship
The Animal Keeper Internship will allow participants to have a greater knowledge and understanding of the general husbandry needs of reptiles, amphibians, birds, mammals, invertebrates, and marine life housed at Wonders of Wildlife National Museum and Aquarium. Interns will work with members of the Keeper Team to complete the daily tasks required to maintain the health and welfare of animals, as well as clean exhibits and back of house areas.
- Preparation of food for animal diets and feeding out of diets in an efficient manner.
- Ensure all husbandry areas are kept clean, organized, and hazard-free; report maintenance needs; perform minor maintenance tasks. Cleaning of the exterior and interior of the enclosures as well as areas around the enclosures (floors, counters under and above enclosures).
- Exhibit servicing including monitoring the health and well-being of animals, testing for appropriate water parameters, and performing water changes as needed, ensuring daily and weekly check sheets are current, and maintain written records in accordance with established practice and policy.
- Provide superb guest service for all visitors including performing occasional keeper chats or animal encounters.
- Implement emergency procedures as directed.
- Work safely with and around potentially hazardous chemicals and dangerous animals.
- Extended periods of standing and heavy lifting up to 50 lbs. and working both indoors and out.
- Assist Keepers with any necessary projects and provide alternative coverage as needed.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in a college or university or have recently graduated from a college or university.
- Will typically possess a background related to animal husbandry.
- Experience with, understanding of, and aptitude for maintaining animals in captivity is helpful.
- Must possess strength and endurance to perform the physical demands of all Key Responsibilities with or without accommodation.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak the English language.
- Ability to interact in a courteous and professional manner.
- Must be capable of dealing with emergencies calmly and efficiently.
- Must learn quickly and be self-motivated to elevate personal skill set.
- Must possess good decision-making and problem-solving skills to make sound, independent judgments to identify problems and suggest solutions.
- Priority will be given for individuals who can work four days a week (Sunday to Wednesday or Wednesday to Saturday) from 6 am to 3 pm. The minimal requirements are 20hrs a week with Two full 8 hour days. The internship will run 10-12 weeks, starting at the beginning of September.
You will need to fill out an application on our website at www.wondersofwildlife.org/volunteer/. If you have any questions, please reach out to our volunteer team!
Volunteer Services Contact Info:
Phone: 417-709-3900; 417-225-1181
About WONDERS OF WILDLIFE NATIONAL MUSEUM AND AQUARIUM
500 W SUNSHINE ST, SPRINGFIELD, MO 65807, US
To celebrate those that hunt, fish, and act as stewards of the land and water.
Johnny Morris' Wonders of Wildlife National Museum and Aquarium educates the public on the importance of hunting and fishing to conservation. As a volunteer, you can inform our guests about the mysteries of the deep by presenting fascinating facts about our 1.5 million gallon aquarium or share the secrets of the wild by educating our guests on the history of conservation in our fully immersive 4-D wildlife galleries. Free training classes are provided- join our team today!
500 W. Sunshine St.Springfield, MO 65807
May 18, 2022
- Animal Care / Handling
- Animal Therapy
- Aquarium Maintenance
- Environmental Science
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Priority will be given for individuals who are able work four days a week (Sunday to Wednesday or Wednesday to Saturday) 7am-11am.