- COPY - Special Olympics Coach - San Luis Obispo
Special Olympics Southern California’s (SOSC) vision is to promote acceptance, inclusion, and well-being
for people with intellectual disabilities through sports. Through the power of sports, our athletes
discover new strengths and abilities, skills, and success - on the playing field and in life. Coaches assist
Head Coaches with creating, organizing, and conducting a comprehensive sports training program.
Knowledge and/or coaching experience in the sport you are interested in coaching is preferred.
- Assist Head Coaches with creating, organizing, and conducting a comprehensive sports training program
- Knowledge and/or coaching experience in the sport you are interested in coaching is preferred
- Train athletes during scheduled practice times, as well as the opportunity to accompany team to
- Regional and Chapter competitions
- Create and maintain a positive and fun environment for all athletes
- Training will be provided by SOSC clinicians and volunteers
- Will receive direction at training sessions from Head Coach, and continual support and direction as season progresses
- Coaches provide 4+ hours per week, throughout 8-10 week season, plus 1-2 weekends for competitions
- Practice locations and competitions will be provided upon team placement
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum age 16 years old with a government issued ID (driver’s license, military ID or passport).
- School ID acceptable for volunteers 16-17.
- Must complete online volunteer application, online trainings, and background check (if over 18).
- Recertification required every 3 years
- Must complete Sport Specific Skills certification: in-person training conducted by certified clinician for first time coaches. Sport Specific recertification completed online every 3 years
- Commitment to the Mission and Philosophy of SOSC
- Direct interaction and impact on SOSC athletes!
- Build a strong team to work together to achieve our vision of acceptance, inclusion, and well being for people with intellectual disabilities through sports
- Experience enthusiasm, joy, and personal achievement alongside our athletes
About Special Olympics Southern California
1600 Forbes Way, Suite 200, Long Beach, CA 90810, US
Special Olympics Southern California is a nonprofit organization that empowers individuals with intellectual disabilities to become physically fit, productive and respected members of society through sports training and competition. It is one of 52 Chapters within the United States and part of Special Olympics, Inc., which serves 3 million athletes in 180 countries worldwide. The mission of Special Olympics Southern California is to provide year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities, giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills and friendship with their families, other Special Olympics athletes and the community.
Special Olympics transforms lives through the joy of sport, every day, everywhere. We are the world's largest sports organization for people with intellectual disabilities: with 4.4 million athletes in 170 countries -- and millions more volunteers and supporters. We are also a global and social movement.
Through the power of sports, people with intellectual disabilities discover new strengths and abilities, skills, and success. Our athletes find joy, confidence and fulfillment -- on the playing field and in life. They also inspire people in their communities and elsewhere to open their hearts to a wider world of human talents and potential. Please view the following video to see the full spectrum of our activities.
Our athletes always come first.
Honesty, integrity, and mutual respect are the core principles of our organization, and we pledge to treat all athletes, coaches, volunteers, staff members, and donors according to these principles.
We pledge that all decisions will be made in support of our mission and that all resources should be optimized for the direct benefit of our athletes.
660 Clarion CourtSuite ASan Luis Obispo, CA 93401
November 9, 2021
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- We have four major sports seasons: Fall (Sep - Nov: Soccer, Softball, Volleyball, Tennis, Golf); Winter (Jan-Mar: Floor Hockey); Spring (Mar-Jun: Athletics, Basketball, Bocce, Flag Football, Swimming). Coaching requires about 4 hours a week