Dakota County Library Home Delivery Volunteer
8 people are interested
Provide an important link to library services by delivering books and other library materials to patrons that are home-bound due to illness or disability.
Home-bound delivery volunteers may volunteer at any Dakota County Library branch.
Schedule of volunteer duties is dependent on patron requests.
Duties & Responsibilities
Dakota County Library provides delivery of books and other materials to patrons who are unable to access a library on their own. Volunteers pick up one small bin of materials previously selected by an Adult Services Librarian from a designated library branch and deliver the bin to the homebound patron. The volunteer then returns the previously checked out bin of materials to the library.
Duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Pick up bin of library materials from the library and transport the materials to the homebound patron’s residence at a mutually convenient time.
- Pick up previously checked out materials and return them to the library.
- Commit to at least 6 months of service in providing deliveries.
- Communicate with library staff regarding availability for making deliveries.
- Communicate with library staff any patron requests or feedback regarding deliveries.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must satisfactorily complete a phone interview, criminal background and motor vehicle driving record check process.
- Must complete a basic vehicle safety online training (course is provided for free to the volunteer)
- Must provide own transportation to and from the library, and to and from the home-bound patron’s residence.
- Proof of vehicle insurance is required before start of service.
- Must be physically able to deliver library materials.
- Comfortable interacting with older and disabled residents.
- Good communication skills.
- A commitment to, and a genuine interest in, serving the library needs of older adults and/or persons with disabilities.
Minimum Time Commitment
Time commitment varies, dependent on patron requests. An estimated minimum of 1-2 hours per month is expected.
Volunteers will receive basic training at the beginning of their service. An online basic vehicle driving safety module will made available to each volunteer to complete before starting.
Adult Services Manager
1340 Wescott Road | Eagan, MN 55123
About Dakota County
1590 Highway 55, Hastings, MN 55033, US
Building Stronger Communities through Empowered Volunteers.
Looking to lend a hand? We'd be happy to have you! Our volunteer opportunities run the gamut. Enhance the environment, influence struggling youth, encourage lifelong learning and so much more. The time you commit is in your control. Dive into a daylong event, volunteer in a monthslong program or help us out for years to come. No matter what you choose, you'll be building a better community. So go ahead, pick you passion and start feeling food about giving back.
We'll work with your schedule.
Dakota CountyDakota County, MN 55124
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training