Volunteer Driver - Deliver Food Donations from Restaurants to Local Shelters
6 people are interested
Member of Volunteer Driver Task Force
Food Connect uses technology to bridge the gap between surplus food and hunger. It links emergency food providers with leftover food from restaurants, caterers and vendors. Food Connect diverts food waste while simultaneously providing safe and dignified meals to food-insecure populations. Food Connect launched its mobile app in Philadelphia in the summer of 2016, just in time for the Democratic National Convention. In partnership with local anti-hunger organizations, Food Connect helped recover over 11,000 lbs during the DNC. More recently, over 21,000 pounds of food were donated during the NFL Draft in April 2017.
In addition to large events, demand for Food Connect from local restaurants and caterers continues to grow. Drivers are a critical component of Food Connect, delivering an average of 450 lbs of donated food each week. Drivers are the face of Food Connect and serve as liaisons between donors and recipient organizations. Donors upload details about their food donation onto the Food Connect app, and a driver is dispatched to pick-up and deliver it to a food pantry, shelter or emergency meal site.
We are seeking to grow our team by bringing on additional volunteer drivers!
- Pick up surplus food from donors and deliver it to recipients
- Record the type and quantity of donations on your phone
- Ensure food safety standards are met
- Attend a brief driving training
- Own an iPhone or Android phone and be familiar with using apps
- Availability to be on call for a minimum of one three-hour shift a week
- Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of people
- Access to a clean vehicle that can be used to transport food throughout Pennsylvania
- Valid driver’s license and insurance
- Flexible schedule- sign-up to drive at times that work for you
- Be part of an exciting initiative and learn more about food insecurity in Pennsylvania
- Gain valuable experience coordinating with vendors, recipients, and partner organizations
- Support Philadelphia emergency meal sites and food pantries better serve their clients
- Receive training on food safety regulations
To express your interest in volunteering as a Food Rescue driver, please complete this form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdim5rPIFFsLI-mPx3NtScgqP-vQBjYwNE-6bQpiFLN0uQbzA/viewform
If you have any questions, please contact Food Connect at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about Food Connect, visit: http://www.foodconnectgroup.com/
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About The Food Connect Group
TBA, Philadelphia, PA 19122, US
We seek to change the hunger scene of Philadelphia by turning widespread food insecurity and massive food wastage into mutual solutions to create a more sustainable solution to hunger to help transition Philadelphia out of it's severe hunger issues.
We aim to help resolve the amount of food wasted in Philadelphia by taking left over food from local donors and delivering it to food insecure individuals in the city of Philadelphia. Currently we work with community based organizations, recovery houses, shelters, and safe havens.
We'll work with your schedule.
TBDPhiladelphia, PA 19107
- Bus/Van Driving
- Customer Service
- Food Delivery / Distribution
- People Skills
- Social Work
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 18
- Flexible - A few hrs at least 1 day/wk to deliver. Day and Night opportunities are available.
- Must have a smartphone and able to download our driving app.