Do you like working with youth? Become an academic mentor! (Santa Ana)
DONATE TO THIS
5 people are interested
LINC Academic Mentoring Program (AMP)
Seeking Volunteer Academic Mentors
LINC Housing Corporation is a nonprofit organization that provides homes for people underserved by the marketplace. Our communities are known for excellent design, outstanding management, and life-enhancing services. LINC is an acronym for Limited Income Communities and is the outgrowth of the Corporate Fund for Housing formed in 1984.
LINC Cares is the resident services department that works to improve the quality of life for residents living in our communities. LINC Cares offers youth education, health & wellbeing, job readiness, and case management at no cost to our residents.
AMP is a distinct program of LINC Cares, combining the best of the After School and Job Readiness programs over a 10-week mentorship opportunity. Directed at teenagers who have aged out of the After-School Program, it offers students the chance to be coached by passionate volunteers from their community. It started at City Gardens (Santa Ana), Village at Beechwood (Lancaster), and Mosaic Gardens at Taylor Terrace (Sacramento) Apartments in 2017. LINC sees a future where every person has access to homes, they can afford in communities that value healthy life choices and promote the pursuit of education to improve one’s self, family and society. AMP envisions a community in which every youth experience nurturing one-to-one relationships and community support, which in turn allows each of them to develop their full potential, capable of making informed, responsible decisions.
- Inspire teenagers from low-income families to have higher career and educational goals
- Provide insight and tools to help Mentee make informed career decisions.
- Grant community members an opportunity to expand their affinity to LINC Housing by interacting with current students.
- Develop confident graduates with creative thinking and interpersonal skills who can discover where their degree will lead them.
- Be age 21 or older
- Have enthusiasm and patience; a willingness to listen and the ability to help student learn and excel
- Be able to set limits and respond to supervision
- Be able to travel to and from the site of activities
- Attend scheduled meetings at least twice a month; follow through with timelines and communication; complete monthly reporting
- Maintain confidentiality during and after mentorship.
- Provide homework, job or college application support.
- Help set goals in different areas of life: college and career readiness, physical and mental wellbeing, social and personal development.
How to get involved?
If you’re interested or have any questions, please contact:
Community Involvement Coordinator
Phone: (562) 684-1122
Email: ATo@linchousing.org or visit: www.linchousing.org
Please note: This is not an ’at-risk youth’ program. You will be paired with a remarkable student, these are individuals who face an opportunity barrier due to circumstances out of their control. It is our goal to alleviate detrimental influences and help everyone reach their full potential. For some, this might simply mean practicing English in a low-stress environment. For others, it might mean helping complete college and scholarship applications that prove difficult. We are here to support, not control them.
An "opportunity gap" refers to the ways in which race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, English proficiency, community wealth, familial situations, or other factors contribute to or perpetuate lower educational aspirations, achievement, and attainment for certain groups of students).
About LINC Housing
3590 Elm Avenue, Long Beach, CA 90807, US
LINC provides affordable housing for people underserved by the marketplace. Our communities are known for excellent design, outstanding management and life-enhancing services.
LINC Housing builds, owns, and operates affordable housing for low-income families and seniors throughout California. Its resident service department, LINC Cares, provides life-enhancing services to residents. Our staff members teach and collaborate with nearby agencies to facilitate classes and activities that cover health, exercise, financial literacy, after-school care, ESL, computer skills, crafts, volunteer opportunities, social events, and field trips to experience science, nature, and the arts.
Check us out!
Facebook - www.facebook.com/LINCCaresCA
Instagram - @LINC_Cares
2901 N Bristol StSanta Ana, CA 92706
- Youth Services
- Community Outreach
- Relationship Building
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 10 weeks