NYS Driver's License with clean record is required. Drivers must be over 21. Experience is preferred but not required. Drivers must also have CPR Certification (BLS for Health Care Provider) and must complete online FEMA courses IS100 and IS700. (CPR Courses are provided free-of-charge to GOVAC members). Drivers must also complete an emergency vehicle operator course (ex: EVOC, CEVO, EVDC) either online or in-person.
Our Drives respond to emergency calls, non-emergency transports, and provide medical standby coverage throughout our response area and beyond as outlined in our Mutual Aid Agreement. GOVAC drivers operate within the guidelines and protocols as written by NYSDOH/NYC REMSCO and Vehicle Traffic Law.
Drivers will be trained and tested on three elements:
- Safe and efficient driving and operation of our GOVAC ambulances, including backing and other appropriate maneuvers.
- Knowledge of the response area
- Familiarity in navigating to closest receiving hospitals
ALL Drivers must also complete Dispatcher Training as well as Riding Member Orientation:
- Submission and verification of valid, unexpired CPR certification, FEMA IS100, IS700 and emergency vehicle operator course certificate
- Submission and verification of Medical Form completed and signed by a medical professional certfifying member meets Required Qualifications of EMT Position per NYSDOH standards
- Required inservices and protocol updates as required by GOVAC's Medical Direction, NYSDOH and NYC Regional EMS Council
- In-person orientation, training with patient lifting/carrying devices, PPE donning/doffing, and successful N95 Fit-Testing
Members must be available to serve weeknights from 6pm-12am or on weekends during 8am-12pm, 12pm-6pm or 6pm-12am.
Members are encouraged to cross-train and perform in roles of Dispatcher, EMT, and serve on committees.
About Glen Oaks Volunteer Ambulance Corps
257-02 Union Turnpike, Floral Park, NY 11004, US
To Provide EMERGENCY CARE AND TRANSPORTATION to the residents and visitors of Bellerose, Glen Oaks, Floral Park, New Hyde Park, Oakland Gardens, and North Shore Towers
The Glen Oaks Volunteer Ambulance Corps, Inc. (GOVAC) was founded in 1973 by a group of 10 caring, community minded individuals, who wanted to assure that a local community based ambulance service would continue to be available to their neighbors. Since then, our organization consists of over 100 members performing as EMTs, Drivers, Dispatchers and Administrative Assistants. GOVAC has responded to over 33,000 calls and continues to improve, upgrade and expand our services. We also provide community first aid training, special event medical coverage, as well as non-emergency medical transports. Our fleet includes three top-of-the-line ambulances that are maintained well above all standards. GOVAC is also a participant in NYC's Regional EMS Council and a dual-member of New York State Volunteer Ambulance and Rescue Association (District 4 & 18).
We'll work with your schedule.
257-02 Union TurnpikeGOVAC HeadquartersFloral Park, NY 11004
- First Aid / CPR
- Safety & Disaster Education
- Bus/Van Driving
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Following the probationary period (see "Other Requirements" below), members are ask to perform a minimum of two 6-hour "tours" per month. Members are also required to maintain certifications and attend all required updates per NYS/NYC requirements.
- Members serve a probationary period consisting of 90 days, nine 6-hour tours, attend one membership meeting, complete dispatcher training, and complete five brief online classes (Harassment & Violence Prevention; HIPAA Awareness, Infection Control)