4 people are interested
No previous experience is necessary. All members, regardless of certification/experience will be trained as dispatchers.
Dispatchers are responsible for:
- Coordinating with ambulance crews and additional resources via radio (or phone)
- Answering emergency and non-emergency phone calls and dispatching ambulance crews and additional resources appropriately
- Overseeing and ensuring safety/wellbeing of crew while on an emergency call
- Maintaining cleanliness and security of headquarters
- Training new members
Members are encouraged to cross-train and perform in roles of EMT, Driver, and serve on committees.
Members must be able to perform shifts at our headquarters on weeknights from 6pm-12am or on weekend shifts of 8am-12pm, 12pm-6pm or 6pm-12am
About Glen Oaks Volunteer Ambulance Corps
257-02 Union Turnpike, Floral Park, NY 11004, US
To Provide EMERGENCY CARE AND TRANSPORTATION to the residents and visitors of Bellerose, Glen Oaks, Floral Park, New Hyde Park, Oakland Gardens, and North Shore Towers
The Glen Oaks Volunteer Ambulance Corps, Inc. (GOVAC) was founded in 1973 by a group of 10 caring, community minded individuals, who wanted to assure that a local community based ambulance service would continue to be available to their neighbors. Since then, our organization consists of over 100 members performing as EMTs, Drivers, Dispatchers and Administrative Assistants. GOVAC has responded to over 33,000 calls and continues to improve, upgrade and expand our services. We also provide community first aid training, special event medical coverage, as well as non-emergency medical transports. Our fleet includes three top-of-the-line ambulances that are maintained well above all standards. GOVAC is also a participant in NYC's Regional EMS Council and a dual-member of New York State Volunteer Ambulance and Rescue Association (District 4 & 18).
We'll work with your schedule.
257-02 Union TurnpikeGOVAC HeadquartersFloral Park, NY 11004
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Reading Comprehension
- Verbal / Written Communication
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Following the probationary period (see "Other Requirements" below), members are ask to perform a minimum of two 6-hour "tours" per month. Members are also required to maintain certifications and attend all required updates per NYS/NYC requirements.
- Members serve a probationary period consisting of 90 days, nine 6-hour tours, attend one membership meeting, complete dispatcher training, and complete five brief online classes (Harassment & Violence Prevention; HIPAA Awareness, Infection Control)