Facilitator for Dad's Parent Support Group Norfolk House of Correction (Dedham)
DONATE TO THIS
3 people are interested
Parents Helping Parents: Empowering parents to nurture children and build stronger families
Parents Helping Parents runs a network of support groups for parents who want to improve relationships with their children. Parents come to our support groups seeking encouragement and feedback on parenting-related issues. Shared leadership, trust, respect, responsibility, and positive parenting are key components of our support groups. Our groups provided a safe, supportive, and non-judgmental environment for creating positive and caring peer relationships. Our approach is preventative; once the emotional support of the parent has been strengthened, a parent is better able to actively guide and nurture the family.
We need a volunteer (YOU!) to act as a group co-facilitator for a parent support group at the Norfolk Correctional Facility in Dedham. As a co-facilitator, you will be maintaining the safe, supportive, and non-judgmental environment which characterizes our support groups.
- Must demonstrate an understanding of stressors within a family that could potentially trigger child abuse and/or neglect
- Have previous experience working with parents and families
- 14 hours of training held in our main office in Watertown, MA accompanied by an online portion.
- 1 year commitment with groups scheduled for Monday from 5:30-6:30 p.m.
- Willingness to collect and submit Quarterly Report and Annual Report data.
- Complete the Norfolk County Correctional Facilities application and orientation
About Parents Helping Parents
108 Water Street, Watertown, MA 02472, US
Parents Helping Parents empowers parents to nurture their children and build stronger families.
Parents Helping Parents (PHP)'s prevention philosophy is grounded in a self-help model based on the belief that parents are capable of developing their own solutions when given the space, encouragement, and community resources that they need. Thus, it is the parents themselves who decide the direction a conversation will take during a Parent Support Group meeting or Parental Stress Line.
Through a combination of trust, mutual support, honesty, and collective wisdom, involvement with PHP can become the foundation for a parent's own personal growth and change.
Parents Helping Parents runs 2 services:
1. Parental Stress Line: a 24/7, free and anonymous helpline that provides telephone counseling and information and referral to parents (call: 1-800-632-8188). Once training is complete, volunteers generally take calls at home.
2. Parent Support Groups: network of free and anonymous support groups that meet in many locations throughout Massachusetts. (see a list of current groups on our website at www.parentshelpingparents.org)
We'll work with your schedule.
200 West StDedham, MA 02026
- Crisis Intervention
- Mental Health
- Counseling / Mental Health
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 1 year time commitment
- Next Facilitator training on Nov 2, 2019 from 9:00-4:00pm