Urban Farm Volunteer
4 people are interested
Learn how to farm this Fall harvest season!!!
Growing Home is seeking a volunteer to help out on our USDA-Certified Organic urban farms during the fall harvest season. We are located in Chicago's South Side Englewood community and are open M-F, 8am-4pm. We're looking for someone who can spend a minimum of 10 hours per week assisting our farm team during our regular work hours (schedule is flexible). Work will start immediately, and last through the end of November.
The Urban Farm Volunteer will have the opportunity to:
- Prepare beds for planting, add amendments to soil, plant and transplant seedlings
- Harvest produce for weekly markets
- Clean, weigh, bunch, and pack produce for markets
- Keep accurate records per our Organic requirements
- Assist at markets as needed
- Assist with additional site maintenance tasks as needed
- Work alongside our job training participants and help support their productive learning experience
Volunteers will have the benefit of learning a variety of farming skills and techniques and will learn how an urban, organic farm operates. They will also be able to take produce home.
Volunteers must be able to bend and squat for long periods of time, and lift 20 pounds. They must be comfortable working in various weather conditions, and with getting dirty.
Simply email April Harrington at email@example.com to set up a call to discuss the position and see if you're good fit.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Growing Home
5814 S Wood Street, Chicago, IL 60636, US
Growing Home's mission is to operate, promote, and demonstrate the use of organic agriculture as a vehicle for job training, employment, and community development.
Growing Home operates the first and only high-production USDA-certified organic farms in the City of Chicago. We use our farms as a platform for our job training program where people with barriers to employment are provided a paid, holistic, 14-week job readiness curriculum and on-the-job training experience. We also use our farms to provide fresh, healthy, affordable produce to the Englewood community.
We'll work with your schedule.
5814 S WoodChicagoChicago, IL 60636
- Must be at least 18
- 10 hours per week from now until the end of November, during our open hours of M-F, 8am-4pm. Exact schedule is very flexible according to your availability.
- Volunteers must be able to bend and squat for long periods of time, and lift 20 pounds. They must be comfortable working in various weather conditions, and with getting dirty.