Friendly Visiting with LGBTQ+ Elders in Staten Island
6 people are interested
Via a partnership with The NYC Department for the Aging, and Citymeals on Wheels, GRIOT Circle is looking for responsible volunteers who are interested in connecting with isolated homebound LGBTQ+ and Same Gender Loving (SGL) elders. The Volunteer with visit the senior in their homes. Once you are matched with an LGBTQ+ elder you will meet with an elder for one hour weekly at their place of residence to spend quality time together through mutually agreed upon activities.
Ideas of activities that may take place include:
- playing games like chess, checkers, scrabble, puzzles etc.
- teach each other a new skill
- take a walk, go to a museum, go to the movies or to the park
- listen to music together
- cook a meal together
- share jokes and funny stories
- and much more!
The Friendly Visitor Coordinator will connect with you and the visitee to check in about your relationship and support any challenges that arise. You will receive ongoing training and workshops on topics that impact LGBTQ+ elders.
Steps to become a friendly visitors:
- E-mail Mo at Mo@Griotcircle.org
- Phone Conversation
- Application and In Person Meeting
- Background Check and Reference Check will occur
- If all is well with the checks and the in-person meeting you will be matched with an elder based on interests, personality, or preferences
- Matching can take some time
- Attend a 1 to 1 Friendly Visiting Orientation
- Connect with an elder and meet weekly!
We look forward to discussing with you about becoming a Friendly Visitor
About GRIOT Circle Inc.
25 Flatbush Ave., 5th Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11217, US
GRIOT Circle is a community-based, multigenerational organization serving LGBTQ elders of color. Our mission is to respond to and eliminate all forms of oppression, including: ageism, racism, sexism, misogyny, transphobia, homophobia, poverty, xenophobia, and their intersections. We achieve this by providing health, wellness, advocacy, and leadership activities to remove isolation and fear, building community, as well as honoring racial and ethnic traditions.
GRIOT Circle is an advocacy and service organization committed to the dignity, well-being, and quality of life of LGBTQ people of color as we age.
We'll work with your schedule.
Staten IslandStaten Island, NY 10301
- Elder care
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- One Hour Weekly For At Least 6 Months
- 2 Reference Checks - One Profession and One Character Reference