DONATE TO THIS
27 people are interested
Patient Care Volunteers Needed!! Make a Positive Difference!!
DONATE TO THIS
27 people are interested
Leave a legacy of kindness in your life and make a positive difference in someone's final stages of life by becoming a Patient Care Volunteer for hospice patients. Hospice provides support to patients and their families during their final phase of life. Hospice patients are first and foremost people, and we are looking for volunteers who have a heart to show up for someone during a difficult period in their life. This work is deeply important and valued as a part of the hospice team. Learn more about those around you who might come from different walks of life and heighten your own sense of spiritual and emotional values while serving in this role.
Patient Care Volunteers assist as friends and companions to patients who have six months or less to live. They provide the patient and/or family with important respite care, emotional support, and companionship. Visits are with patients in their own residences, at assisted living facilities, or nursing facilities.
All volunteers will go through a comprehensive training and are provided with ongoing, guided support from the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Provide companionship through visiting, watching TV, scrap-booking, talking, active listening, bedside sitting, letter writing, reading, etc.
- Take interest in the patient by engaging with him/her in sharing hobbies, gardening, table games, cards, crafts, listening to music, watching movies, discussing sports, travel, life stories
- Provide patient's caregiver and/or family with respite care in 2-4 hour blocks of time so that they can have a little break
- Maintain confidentiality regarding information related to patient and family
- Compassionate, communicative, reliable, punctual, excellent listener
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must have valid driver’s license and auto insurance
- Must be able to pass background check and drug test
- Must be able to complete minimum of 25 hours of volunteering within first 90 days
- Bilingual is a plus
*Volunteers will complete an orientation session prior to any patient contact.
*Volunteers will be visiting patients in their own residences, which may be at their house, an assisted living facilities, or nursing facilities.
*Volunteers do not help patient with any type of medical care, medical assistance, and/or personal hygiene care.
*Volunteers cannot fulfill clinical hours through this opportunity.
*This opportunity is not an internship or job shadowing program. We can sign off on school volunteering hours, but not internship hours.
To volunteer please email the Volunteer Program Coordinator, Sheena Innocente, MSW, at firstname.lastname@example.org
About ECHO Hospice
765 The City Dr S, Suite 440, Orange, CA 92868, US
The mission of Echo Hospice is to bring hope, support and life enriching care to those who face life's end. "Life is an echo. What you send out comes back. Radiate and give love and compassion, and love and compassion will return to you."
Volunteers play a vital role in hospice care. They can provide companionship and help with activities that may enhance quality of life while bringing true joy to patients facing terminal illnesses. Volunteers are important and may help ease the burdens associated with end-of-life care for families and loved ones. While Volunteers provide companionship to patients, they can be of great support to their families. We also have other volunteer opportunities available in our programs such as, our Expressions Art Therapy, Pawsitive Pals Pet Therapy, or Music Therapy.
"The world is hugged by the faithful arms of Volunteers"-Terri Guillemets
*No prior medical knowledge is necessary.
765 The City Drive SouthSuite 440Orange, CA 92868
October 6, 2021
- Patient Care
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- As needed, but volunteers must complete 25 hours within first three months of volunteering.
- Drug test, TB test provided at no charge to volunteer.