114 people are interested
Mentor a Family Who Has Exited Homelessness
ORGANIZATION: Imagine LA
Please visit the new page to apply.
114 people are interested
IMAGINE LA VOLUNTEER MENTORS SERVE AS FRIENDS, PARTNERS, AND COMPANIONS FOR PARENTS AND CHILDREN WHO HAVE EXPERIENCED HOMELESSNESS ON THEIR INDIVIDUAL AND FAMILY JOURNEYS. APPLY TO BECOME A MENTOR TODAY!
COVID-19 PIVOT: As we all cope with the COVID-19 crisis, the health and security of our families, mentors, and staff is our top priority. As such, we have pivoted our Mentorship program to be FULLY VIRTUAL for the duration of the crisis. This includes shifting to VIRTUAL platforms for our training sessions, family & mentor kickoff meetings, and all mentor-mentee interactions. When local and national health guidelines are lifted, mentors and mentees will start/continue in-person activities.
- 21 years or older
- Live in Greater Los Angeles
- Believe in the power of relationships
- Interested in partnering with families to meet their goals
The Mentor Experience
- One-on-one relationship-building and mentoring activities with a youth (ages 5 & older) or adult mentee (e.g., trips to the beach, help with science project, budgeting or resumé writing)
- Ongoing support and resources from Imagine LA Family Team Manager
- Other volunteer opportunities with Imagine LA (optional)
What’s the Commitment?
- Mandatory background check
- Twice monthly visits with your mentee (~2 hours each / ~4 hours per month)
- Mentor Team Conference Calls with your Family Team Manager (1 hour per month)
- Consistent relationship-building and communication with your mentee (30 min per month)
- Consistent communication with Imagine LA (30 min per month)
- Quarterly potluck-style meetings with the family & Family Team Manager (2 hours per quarter)
- Total: 6-8 hours per month for up to 18 months, based on the family's needs
- It feels great!
- Free background check
- Learn about homelessness & poverty
- Transformative vs. transactional volunteering
- Develop new skills & relationships
- Networking opportunities
- Be an agent of long-term change
More opportunities with Imagine LA
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Imagine LA
672 S. Lafayette Park Place, STE 28, Los Angeles, CA 90057, US
Together with families, we transform lives by building relationships, well-being, and economic mobility.
Imagine LA prevents first-time and repeat homelessness and equips families to maintain housing stability and thrive long-term. Together with families we transform lives through a unique combination of clinical case management, financial wellness pathways and whole-family mentorship. Stability affords every family the freedom to pursue their goals.
We walk alongside our families as they regain stability through physical and emotional well-being and financial independence. This transformation leads to confidence, well-being, and lasting potential .
Across Greater Los AngelesLos Angeles, CA 90057
June 2, 2023
- Critical Thinking
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 6-8 hours per week for up to 18 months, based on the family's needs