1 person is interested
Volunteer Role Overview
YWCA Monterey County runs a confidentially-located human trafficking safe house for those seeking immediate shelter. Women residing in the safe house receive wrap-around services and case management during their year in the program. We are looking for volunteers to provide occasional transportation support to these clients.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Communicating with the Human Trafficking Shelter Specialist and the Community Resource Supervisor to schedule transportation support
- Picking up human trafficking clients from the safe house
- Greeting and conversing with clients as appropriate
- Dropping clients off at desired destination (i.e. doctor’s appointment).
- Waiting outside destination while client takes care of their needs
- Providing return transportation to the safe house
- Interest in supporting human trafficking victims
- Ability to listen and/or converse with clients
- Friendly, helpful personality
- Ability to drive your own vehicle
- Spanish proficiency a plus
- Ability to pass a background check/LiveScan
- Current Driver’s License and car insurance
- Completion of YWCAMC New Volunteer Orientation
- Completion of Domestic Violence Training (through YWCAMC or another agency)
In addition to the New Volunteer Orientation, the Transportation Aide will receive guidance on their role from the Human Trafficking Shelter Specialist and the Community Resource Supervisor.
Time Commitment & Location*
The Transportation Aide will volunteer for 1-2 hours per shift on as as-needed basis. Clients are typically in need of someone to drive them to appointments during weekends. An ongoing commitment is desired. Transportation destinations will vary, but will typically be located on the Peninsula.
*Please note that this opportunity is not currently available, but we are recruiting volunteers for future needs.
Questions about this position? Contact Community Resource Supervisor Taryn Kearns at firstname.lastname@example.org or (831)647-3775.
About YWCA Monterey County
236 MONTEREY ST, SALINAS, CA 93901, US
YWCA Monterey County is dedicated to eliminating racism, empowering women and promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all.
YWCA Monterey County is a leader in ensuring a safe, healthy, and dignified community, empowering women to live to their fullest potential. Sustained by its values and commitment to diversity, equity, and justice, YWCAMC provides education, advocacy, and services that prevent and address all forms of violence against vulnerable members of our community. Our programs include:
- Mental health counseling
- Legal advocacy
- Transitional housing
- Access to basic needs (clothing, toiletries, etc.) through our Resource Center
- Two confidentially-located safe houses
We'll work with your schedule.
236 Monterey StSalinas, CA 93901
- People Skills
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training