Community Outreach Volunteer
1 person is interested
The YWCA Monterey County Outreach, Education, and Advocacy team partners with schools and other organizations throughout Monterey County to provide violence prevention, community development, and education regarding the dynamics of healthy and abusive relationships. Part of this work involves engaging the public by tabling at community events. We are looking for an enthusiastic volunteer to support these tabling events throughout the year.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Gathering, organizing, and packing up outreach materials needed for tabling events
- Making additional copies of outreach materials
- Setting up outreach table at community events
- Speaking to individuals and groups about YWCAMC programs in an informed, engaging manner
- Listening and responding to inquiries from community members
- Providing information about other community resources as appropriate
- Packing up outreach materials after conclusion of tabling events
- Other outreach activities as determined by Outreach Specialist and volunteer interest
- Strong understanding of YWCAMC programs and services
- Ability to convey the YWCAMC mission to a variety of audiences
- Friendly, helpful personality
- Ability to sit or stand for several hours at a time
- Spanish proficiency a plus
- Ability to pass a background check/LiveScan
- Ability to lift 15+ lbs.
- Completion of YWCAMC New Volunteer Orientation
- Completion of Domestic Violence Training (through YWCAMC or another agency)
In addition to the New Volunteer Orientation, the Community Outreach Volunteer will receive guidance on their role from the Outreach Specialist and the Community Resource Supervisor. The volunteer will shadow YWCAMC staff and ideally move toward doing tabling events on their own. Additional training and support will be made available as needed.
Time Commitment & Location
The need for support with tabling events may vary throughout the year, but we are looking for someone who can help for at least one event per week. Each event lasts between 2-4 hours on average. An ongoing commitment is required. Outreach events take place at different locations throughout the county, but volunteers may specify a preferred geographic area (i.e. South County, Salinas, the Peninsula).
Questions about this position? Contact Community Resource Supervisor Taryn Kearns at firstname.lastname@example.org or (831)647-3775.
About YWCA Monterey County
236 MONTEREY ST, SALINAS, CA 93901, US
YWCA Monterey County is dedicated to eliminating racism, empowering women and promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all.
YWCA Monterey County is a leader in ensuring a safe, healthy, and dignified community, empowering women to live to their fullest potential. Sustained by its values and commitment to diversity, equity, and justice, YWCAMC provides education, advocacy, and services that prevent and address all forms of violence against vulnerable members of our community. Our programs include:
- Mental health counseling
- Legal advocacy
- Transitional housing
- Access to basic needs (clothing, toiletries, etc.) through our Resource Center
- Two confidentially-located safe houses
We'll work with your schedule.
236 Monterey StSalinas, CA 93901
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training