Research, writing or marketing for exciting projects to fight climate change & help the environment
The Daily Source
Telecommuting virtually from anywhere in the world is fine. The times of day you do the work are totally flexible. We are an innovative nonprofit creating projects to help the world, and an important part of this is fighting climate change. It has become clear that we can't wait for polarized politicians alone to solve the climate crisis, Eventually they need to help, but if we don't start making a serious impact ourselves now independent of politicians, it will be too late.
Therefore, we are creating several new initiatives to inspire action by individuals and group. One is called "Carbon Neutral Lives." It will encourage people to make the total of their life be carbon neutral so that by the time they die, their life will not have contributed to climate change nor harmed humanity. This will be done through a mix of A) reducing current carbon creation; B) donating money to environmental initiatives that offset their current and past carbon usage. For example, Carbonfund.org. C) Including text in their will to donate some of their remaining money to reach the goal of a carbon neutral life.
People will calculate their current and past carbon usage, and make a plan and a budget to offset it over the course of time. Participants will post their results and their commitment on social media to raise awareness and spread the word. We are going to partner with environmental nonprofits that offer climate offsets in order to promote this concept and turn into a movement.
This is important because people who are already 60 years old have been generating carbon for dozens of years. If they are only carbon neutral moving forward for their last years, they are not doing their fair share. They are leaving today's youth an unfair burden to shoulder. We are giving people the ability to know they did not personally cause climate change.
We are creating another initiative named Carbon Neutral Foundations in which foundations offset the carbon that is created from the grants they give. Any time a grant is made for anything, it results in carbon use by the nonprofit that receives it. A core principle of philanthropy is that it should not cause harm to people. For example, if you want to help a group of people in some way, your means to achieve that should not result in killing other people. But right now this principle is mostly being ignored. Climate change is killing innocent people, and foundations are contributing to it.
In addition, we will encourage foundations to offset the carbon that was created in order to earn the wealth that funded the foundation. In other words, most foundations were created by a wealthy person, and that person's wealth was created in part through carbon use. Thus, foundations can do offsets to account for what created them, plus offset the activities that the current outgoing grants are paying for.
We are creating a similar program called Carbon Neutral Nonprofits. Surprisingly, most nonprofits are not carbon neutral. They figure the environment is only the responsibility of environmental nonprofits. If a nonprofit were to poison children with arsenic in order to achieve its goals, society would say it's barbaric and shut the nonprofit down. However, the majority of nonprofits are essentially doing the same thing today by contributing to climate change and the deaths that are resulting from it, and the huge number of deaths that will occur in coming years. A movement needs to occur for nonprofits to be carbon neutral.
Individuals and and groups becoming carbon neutral has three great results:
1) An immediate reduction in carbon
2) It inspires other people and groups to do the same because actions speak louder than words
3) When a person makes a sacrifice to be carbon neutral, they have a strong desire to pressure other people and groups to do their fair share. It's like when there is a messy house: if you spend three hours cleaning up your contribution to the mess and everyone is benefitting from your efforts, you become motivated to get other people to clean up their messes and do their share.
We are looking for a person to help us do one or more of the following:
* Research: this may include researching a list of carbon offset programs for our users to choose from, a list of carbon footprint calculators and a list of potential groups for us to partner with.
* Writing: this would primarily be website copy writing, which is a unique type of writing that is different from reporting or blogging. It would be writing the text for our front page and interior pages. Please let us know if you have any experience with it.
* Marketing: help to market the new initiatives. This requires existing marketing experience as we can't train you on it.
* Advanced math: We want to develop a lifetime carbon calculator that is easy to use and doesn't require a person to spend a lot of time to complete. It would differ from existing calculators in several ways. If you're strong at math and are interested in working on this, view our listing that mentions math and climate change, or ask us to send you more info.
If you're able to do one of the above and not the others, we can still consider you.
To see some of our other websites that are live, in beta or in initial development, check out -
We also publish a website that provides news related to making the world a better place covering various topics including nonprofits, human rights, extreme poverty, climate change, giving and volunteering. Please consider adding it to your favorites or making it your home page so you can stay informed about news that changes the world:
About The Daily Source
3800 S Tamiami Trail, Suite 321, Sarasota, FL 34239, US
Our mission is to bring the highest quality news from hundreds of sources across the Internet to the public in one place on a daily basis.
We are a 21st-century news site bringing the public top quality stories, columns, editorials, photos, videos, audio, live chats and more. We are an IRS-approved 501(c)3 charitable nonprofit organization. Our site aims to be an important contributor in solving the problems facing our country and world by becoming the central resource on the Internet for intelligent, factual and accurate reporting. Whereas almost all publications rely on a small under-trained staff to produce a small number of stories of inconsistent quality, The DailySource chooses from all stories on the Internet. We present the public with high caliber information, news and analysis that has been chosen from over a thousand publications and is centralized in one site. The information people read is at the heart of improving the world. The site is designed to give the public the information they need to make solid decisions about what policies to support, to become more aware of key trends affecting the world, to find spiritual, recreational and cultural opportunities for themselves, to choose how to best spend their money, to learn about beneficial health news and more. The Internet is fast becoming the leading place for people to get their news. Come be on the cutting edge of it with us.