NUTRITION SERVICES INTERNSHIP
4 people are interested
Do you love cooking and eating healthy and nutritious meals? Are you looking for a way to share your enthusiasm? Now is your chance! Interfaith is seeking Nutrition Services interns for its coastal and inland social service locations. This is a position for a dedicated, creative, and personable individual to assist with Interfaith’s nutrition and food distribution programs, as well as help to develop future activities within these programs. The goal of these programs is to make healthy and culturally-appropriate food accessible to North San Diego County residents while supporting local food systems.
We believe healthy food is a right, not a privilege! Within this internship, there’s so much room to put your individual talents and passions to use, as well as develop many personal and professional skills.
Every year, Interfaith Community Services meets the basic needs of our community by connecting individuals and families to nutritional assistance. Last year alone, Interfaith distributed 147,682 meals to our community via morning meals, food pantry services, and community food distributions. With your help we will be able to significantly increase those numbers and build momentum for our nutrition program.
- Educate clients on food and nutrition issues and topics by facilitating Food Smarts Workshops.
- Creating healthy recipe cards, bundle ideas, and signage based on available food inventory within the pantry.
- Assist in maintaining the organization and distribution of foods through Interfaith’s coastal and inland pantries.
- Assist in maintaining inventory of Interfaith’s pantries including developing relationships with donors and picking-up from various donation locations, Retail Rescue programs, Interfaith’s warehouse, and other resources.
- Work on creating and/or enhancing pantry policies and procedures.
- Facilitate Client Satisfaction, Client Preference, and Needs Assessments Surveys.
- Facilitate and guide clients through the process of enrolling in CalFresh.
- Respond to the most immediate nutrition needs in our North County community.
- Able to lift up to 40 to 50 lbs.
- Must be comfortable on your feet for a minimum of 2-3 hours at a time.
- Required to wear closed-toe shoes, pants or shorts.
- Conversational Spanish-speaking skills required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including vocabulary, grammar and spelling in English.
- Ability to establish quick rapport with staff and volunteers.
- Absolute solid values: honest, loyal, hardworking, and sincere.
- Accomplish assignments successfully through your professionalism, leadership skills, wisdom, initiative, good judgment, and strong attention to detail.
- Proficient with computer applications and databases (e.g., MS Office - Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint).
About Interfaith Community Services
550 West Washington Ave., Escondido, CA 92025, US
Interfaith Community Services empowers people in need to stabilize and improve their lives through comprehensive programs, in partnership with diverse faith communities and people of compassion.
Interfaith is the largest social services agency in North San Diego County from the coastal City of Oceanside to the inland communities south and east of our Escondido headquarters. We empower people in need to stabilize and improve their lives through our comprehensive programs. We are able to support our community thanks to the dedication of hundreds of diverse faith communities, thousands of volunteers, and over 140 dedicated staff.
We'll work with your schedule.
5731 Palmer WayCarlsbad, CA 92010
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Social Work
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 18
- This is an ongoing, semester-long (or more) internship opportunity. Multiple shifts per week for 10 to 15 hours per week. Flexible weekday schedule with opportunities to work onsite and offsite.
- Intern Project: In addition to the responsibilities listed, each Nutrition Services intern will have the opportunity to create their own project(s) according to their skills and interests, thus contributing uniquely to Interfaith’s nutrition program