Community Educators Sought
Alzheimer's Association Community Educators are volunteer public speakers who help the association raise awareness, provide education and expand the reach of educational offerings in the community. These volunteers deliver presentations using prepared training materials on topics related to Alzheimer's Disease and other dementias.
· Communicate effectively and deliver Core Curriculum (Common Programs) presentations and information to the community.
· Work with Alzheimer’s Association staff partners to identify and coordinate education programs that reach target audiences. Coordination includes securing program partner, scheduling, preparing presentations, and managing needed materials.
· Connect members of the community with additional Association services by proactively making referrals to Alzheimer's Association programs & free 24/7 Helpline.
· Complete necessary paperwork for reporting.
· Proactive and passionate about the mission of Alzheimer’s Association.
· Demonstrated success with public speaking, excellent presentation and education skills.
· Comfort with computers and familiarity with email and PPT presentations.
· Ability to network, and collaborate with staff, volunteers, and community partners.
· Experience with dementia as a family member or health care professional preferred.
· AACE volunteers commit to a 1-year term delivering a minimum of 12 presentations. Terms are renewable upon successful completion of annual goal-setting conversation with your staff partner.
· Orientation includes: online general volunteer orientation (1 hour) + program volunteer orientation (1 hour) + self-study or in-person role training with staff partner (~2 hours).
· AACE volunteers must observe 1 community presentation led by a staff or mentor + present 1 Common Program while being observed /evaluated by a staff or mentor prior to deployment in the community.
· Background checks are required as part of the volunteer selection process.
· Comply with Alzheimer’s Association volunteer policies and procedures.
· Participate in initial training and ongoing education about Alzheimer’s, dementia and the Alzheimer's Association.
About Alzheimer's Association Houston & Southeast Texas Chapter
6055 S Loop E at Long Drive, Houston, TX 77087, US
To eliminate Alzheimer's disease through the advancement of research; to provide and enhance care and support for all affected; and to reduce the risk of dementia through the promotion of brain health.
The Alzheimer's Association is dedicated to educating and supporting family members, caregivers and professionals who deal with Alzheimer's disease and related dementias. We provide all types of information, referrals, education and training programs, support groups, and care consultations related to dementia and memory.
We'll work with your schedule.
700 North StBeaumont, TX 77701
- Elder care
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 6 hours initial training + 4 hours monthly