Volunteer Caretaker Position
Volunteer Caretaker, Sikes Adobe Historic Farmstead in the San Dieguito River Park JPA
Flexible, including evenings and weekends
Part time, 20 hours per week
In exchange for monthly water, electric and sewerage payments made by the San Dieguito River Park JPA for your personally owned trailer or 5 th wheeler, which will serve as your on-site residence, the Resident Volunteer is responsible for:
- Full-time residence on-site.
- Help ensure the safety of visitors and preservation of historic structures and their contents through time spent on property and regular rounds.
- Oversight of security alarm systems, fire alarm and suppressant systems.
- Responsible for immediately notifying police, fire department or other appropriate authorities when notified of, or observing emergencies, illegal conduct or other unauthorized activities on the Historic Farmstead grounds.
- Will be first phone call for alarm company when alarm system is triggered.
- Will notify San Dieguito River Park staff of any important issues taking place on the property.
- Responsible for ensuring Historic Farmstead remains clean and tidy through regular inspections, cleaning, and oversight of on-site projects, when applicable.
- Be available on an on-call basis for dealing with issues related to the maintenance or repairs of the grounds as required.
- Work as a gardener/ groundskeeper. Ensure proper maintenance and cultivation of the gardens and grounds of the Historic Farmstead.
- Assist with routine weekly and seasonal exterior cleaning and maintenance of Historic Farmstead buildings and facilities.
Availability for Events and Events Responsibilities
- Assist San Dieguito River Park Rangers with ensuring that Historic Farmstead grounds are in a condition, which is appropriate for all Sikes Adobe events or facility rentals.
Interaction with staff, clients and visitors
- Be cordial with the public when asked general questions about the Historic Farmstead/San Dieguito River Park and its facilities.
- Be available to open/close museum upon request.
- Become conversant in and amenable to sharing with the public the history of the Sikes Adobe, and the key figures responsible for shaping its history.
Other duties as assigned.
- Experience in cleaning and maintenance, security, grounds keeping, gardening and/or related work.
- Interest in and ability to work well with the public and community volunteers.
- Flexible schedule and ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Ability to use email.
- Passage of a background check.
Preferred Physical Requirements
- Ability to bend, stoop, and kneel.
- Ability to sit up to 1 hour at a time.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to reach overhead.
- Hearing acuity to perform communication with members of the public via telephone.
- Verbal ability to communicate with co-workers and various members of the general public in person and by telephone.
Email resume and/ or statement of interest to: Leana Bulay, Manager of Interpretation and Outreach, to Leana@sdrp.org
About San Dieguito River Park
18372 Sycamore Creek Road, Escondido, CA 92025, US
The Sikes Adobe Historic Farmstead, owned and operated by the San Dieguito River Park Joint Powers Authority, is a historic site dedicated to the preservation and interpretation of the history of the settlement of the San Dieguito River Valley as experienced by the Sikes family during the period from 1869-1899.
The Sikes Adobe Farmhouse is a State Point of Historic Interest and a City of San Diego historic site that has been restored by the San Dieguito River Park Joint Powers Authority to its period of significance. Established around 1870, and featuring one of the area’s oldest adobe homes from the American era, the Sikes Adobe Historic Farmstead is a remarkable survivor of San Diego’s rural history and, as such, has a special role to play in preserving the legacy of old California. With the restoration, we can learn what life was like for the pioneer settlers in San Diego shortly after statehood.
12655 Sunset Dr.Escondido, CA 92025
- Habitat Restoration
- Environmental Education
- Exhibition Arts
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check