Girl Scouts STEM Volunteers Wanted! (Sacramento)
Calling all STEM professionals! Join Girl Scouts in encouraging girls to explore science, technology, engineering, and math by volunteering as a STEM Center + MakerSpace Facilitator. Leverage your STEM expertise by volunteering to lead workshops for girls ages 5-18 (already constructed by the Girl Scouts, or work with the Girl Scouts to build your own STEM or maker workshops).
- Skilled in engineering, programming or robotics
- Experience with making or tinkering
- Interested in supporting the process of learning
- Passionate about encouraging girls to explore STEM disciplines
- Experience working with children ages 5-18, helpful but not necessary
- Can lift a minimum of 5 pounds
- Punctual, dependable, enthusiastic, flexible and positive attitude
- Facilitate a hands-on learning experience for girls in grades K-12
- Collaborate with Girl Scouts and STEM Center Girl Task Force to produce curriculum and maintain relevant activities for today’s girl and adult learners
- Provide a safe space where participants can celebrate every attempt and project
- Collect feedback with evaluations
- Must be over 18 years old
- Register as an adult member of Girl Scouts and pass a background check ($25 cost to volunteer)
- Attend GSHCC Volunteer Orientation
- Complete STEM Center + MakerSpace volunteer orientation
Benefits of volunteering in this role:
- Gain experience in facilitating and leading group activities for children
- Work in a diverse setting with an emphasis on building girls’ knowledge of sciences, technology and maker skills
- Be a role model in the STEM field for girls
- Expand your professional network; list volunteer work on LinkedIn and be recognized for your contributions and service
- Students: This position is eligible for community service hours (Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older.)
Workshops are held at the STEM Center anytime between:
- Tuesdays - Fridays: 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Saturdays: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Workshops are 90 minutes in length, or longer, depending on the specific curriculum.
The GSHCC STEM Center + MakerSpace is a place where girls can incorporate scientific discovery in their lives. Activities will focus on three key aspects of STEM: Engineering, Programming, and Biology & Environmental Science. The center also includes a MakerSpace that encourages the use of design thinking and collaborative problem solving. Through a variety of cooperative learning opportunities and hands-on experimentation, girls will hone key STEM-related skills such as creativity, innovation, critical thinking and problem solving all while having fun and gaining confidence. Plus, they’ll learn about STEM careers and meet female STEM professionals while they’re at it.
About Girl Scouts Heart of Central California
6601 Elvas Avenue, Sacramento, CA 95819, US
Building girls of courage, confidence, and character that make the world a better place.
Girl Scouts is the world’s most successful organization dedicated to creating girl leaders, with 3.2 million active members and more than 59 million alumnae. Since its founding in 1912, women have explored new fields of knowledge, learned valuable skills and developed strong core values through Girl Scouting. Girl Scouting builds girls of courage, confidence and character, who make the world a better place.
At Girl Scouts, girls are going to have tons of fun, make new friends and go on fantastic new adventures. They’re also going to get the chance to do big things. Our program centers on something called the Girl Scout Leadership Experience-a collection of activities and experiences girls have as they earn badges, sell cookies, go on exciting trips, explore the outdoors, do Take Action projects that make a difference and more. The result? A lifetime of leadership!
We'll work with your schedule.
SacramentoSacramentoSacramento, CA 95819
- Math / Science Instruction
- Youth Services
- Software Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Environmental Science
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Volunteers must facilitate 1 workshop per quarter
- 18+, Mandatory orientation, background check