Food Systems Intern
3 people are interested
The Food Systems Intern will support and assist the Healthy Corner Store Collaborative, specifically with community outreach/engagement, health marketing, and monitoring and evaluation. The New Orleans Healthy Corner Store Collaborative works alongside New Orleans corner store operators to maximize their business sustainability and increase the amount of fresh, healthy food they offer in-store. The program is designed to support local corner stores to make fresh produce more visible, affordable, and attractive for their customers.
Build capacity in Propeller’s food access efforts including, but not limited to:
- Assist with community engagement efforts for the corner store program including attending community events, participating in door-to-door promotion of the program, and planning and executing food demos and other events in stores.
- Support monitoring and evaluation efforts for the corner store program, including conducting surveys with store customers and community members, planning focus groups, and assisting with data analysis.
- Prospect research of potential funders for future food sector programming.
- Research and compile statistics on community assets and needs.
- Other administrative tasks as necessary.
- Organization, planning, and attention to detail - Able to meet deadlines and handle and prioritize multiple simultaneous requests. A documented history of successfully and efficiently driving projects to completion. Precision and quality focused, methodical, with great patience and attention to detail. Does not let important details slip through the cracks or derail a project.
- Work ethic and follow through - Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done. Lives up to verbal and written agreements, regardless of personal cost. Able to produce significant output with minimal wasted effort.
- Time management and prioritization - Must be able to anticipate project needs, discern work priorities, and meet deadlines with little supervision. Strong project management and administrative skills with demonstrated ability to set concrete goals, organize, and prioritize. Strong time management skills and ability to communicate production timelines on multiple projects. Plans, organizes, schedules, and budgets time in an efficient, productive manner.
- Ego in Check/Openness to criticism and ideas - Often solicits feedback and reacts calmly to criticism or negative feedback. Admits to mistakes.
- (preferred) We strive to be highly effective in serving all aspects of the New Orleans community. To do so requires expertise and deep knowledge. Preference will be given to candidates with experience working with low-income or underrepresented minority (African-American, Latino American, Native American or Vietnamese American) communities in New Orleans.
- (required) Must have reliable access to transportation and the ability to transport supplies and equipment as needed.
Application Deadline: September 13, 2019; we recommend early applications and may fill the position before the deadline.
Application Directions: Apply here ( https://www.tfaforms.com/4673622) by presenting your resume and cover letter. Please follow all application instructions so you will be able to be considered for the position.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Propeller: A Force for Social Innovation
4035 WASHINGTON AVE, NEW ORLEANS, LA 70125, US
Propeller is a 501c3 nonprofit that grows and supports entrepreneurs to tackle social and environmental disparities.
We work to create a powerful community of diverse entrepreneurs and stakeholders working together for a more equitable future where everyone can lead healthy, fulfilling lives free of racism, poverty, and other systems of oppression.
Our strategy is to build a critical mass of small businesses and nonprofits working to tackle disparities in food, water, health, and education. These are areas we have identified as having significant inequities and proven market opportunities for local entrepreneurs to implement solutions.
4035 Washington AveNew OrleansNew Orleans, LA 70125
- People Skills
- Project Management
- Estimated Hours: 8-10 hours per week
- Must have reliable access to transportation and the ability to transport supplies and equipment as needed. Apply here (https://www.tfaforms.com/4673622) by presenting your resume and cover letter.