3 people are interested
Volunteer Teaching Assistant for Los Angeles Photography Program
ORGANIZATION: The Pablove Foundation
Please visit the new page to apply.
3 people are interested
We are looking for Teaching Assistants to help us teach the art of photography to children and teens living with cancer!
The mission of The Pablove Foundation is to improve the lives of children living with cancer through the arts and invest in underfunded, cutting-edge pediatric cancer research. We’re revolutionizing the way people view kids living with cancer by addressing the needs of the community through art and science. Kids living with cancer are special - they live amazing lives full of inspiration, hope, love, and laughter. We are honored to serve them and their families while engaging our supporters by telling their stories.
The Teaching Assistant position is an in-person position. The primary role of the Teaching Assistant is to support and be an extension of the Local Teaching Artist in our in-person course. Our in-person program is designed to meet the needs of children living with cancer and provides opportunities for students to learn basic concepts in photography, participate in a shared community, and to help them develop their creative voice. You will work with students in our introduction to photography program by facilitating the learning process and encouraging their artistic development with the goal of increasing each child’s overall sense of well-being.
This is a month long position from September 24th - October 29th, 2022. Volunteer hours are from 9:30am - 12:30 pm for five (5) consecutive Saturdays* starting October 1st - October 29th, 2022 (training in September). Your total time commitment will be approximately 30 - 35 hours.
Class Technology Support
- Provide admin support as needed
- Work with Local Teaching Artist to identify any technical improvements
Student Engagement + Support
- Help answer any questions students may have while class is in session when needed
- Model ideal class behaviors and discussions to encourage student participation
- Co-facilitate office hours with Local Teaching Artist
- Assist with make-up lessons as needed
- Participate in teaching assistant training
- Review and understand class goals, content, and objectives
- Assist Local Teaching Artist as needed
- Previous experience in photography is required; professional experience is a plus!
- Enthusiastic and positive attitude while working with the students
- Commit to all five consecutive classes
- All volunteers must pass a background check prior to the start of class
- Previous working experience with youth in arts education a plus
- Bilingual skills (Spanish) a plus
How To Apply
Please complete the online volunteer application at: https://www.pablove.org/volunteer/
About The Pablove Foundation
3255 Cahuenga Blvd West, Suite 210, Los Angeles, CA 90068, US
The Pablove Foundation addresses childhood cancer through a unique art + science approach. Our mission is to improve the lives of children living with cancer through the arts and invest in underfunded, cutting-edge pediatric cancer research. Pablove Shutterbugs, our signature photography program for kids 6-18 living with cancer, has served nearly 1,500 students in eight cities across the country, and we’ve provided $2.8 million in seed funding for daring pediatric cancer researchers on the leading edge of their fields worldwide.
Pablove's story began in 2008, when Pablo Thrailkill Castelaz was diagnosed with bilateral Wilms Tumor, a rare form of childhood cancer. After 13 months of treatment, Pablo passed away just six days after his sixth birthday. The whole extended community affected by his diagnosis - friends, teachers, classmates and neighbors - wrapped its collective arms around him and his family. Their love inspired the start of The Pablove Foundation, and we've been fighting childhood cancer with love ever since.
1151 Oxford RoadSan Marino, CA 91108
August 4, 2022
- Teaching / Instruction
- Visual Arts
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Orientation or Training
- This position is from Sept. 24th - Oct. 29th, 2022. Volunteer hours are from 9:30am - 12:30 pm for five (5) consecutive Saturdays* starting Oct. 1st - Oct. 29th, 2022 (training in September). Total time commitment will be approximately 30 - 35 hours.
- Previous experience in photography is required; professional experience is a plus! Enthusiastic and positive attitude while working with the students Commit to all five consecutive classes All volunteers must pass a background check