Wordpress Web Design Professional Volunteer Needed for Growing Literacy Nonprofit
1 person is interested
Read Better Be Better is the only nonprofit after-school reading comprehension program to empowering youth leaders to solve Arizona's literacy crisis.
Read Better Be Better inspires and equips middle school youth to help third-grade students struggling with reading comprehension. The program uses trained 6th-8th graders to lead 3rd graders through a curriculum that empowers both students. 3rd graders gain the literacy skills needed to achieve academic and life-long success, and middle school youth engage in service-learning, which is proven to increase graduation rates, prepare students for success in college, and increase a student’s sense of civic responsibility.
Through literacy, we give these students a chance to pull themselves out of the poverty cycle.Job Description
- Designing and implementing new features and functionality
- Establishing and guiding the website’s architecture
- Ensuring high-performance and availability, and managing all technical aspects of the CMS
- Helping formulate an effective, responsive design and turning it into a working theme and plugin.
- Experience building user interfaces for websites and/or web applications
- Experience designing and developing responsive design websites
- Experience with the following plugins: Yoast SEO, Wordpress Social Login, Google Analytics
- Comfortable working with debugging tools like Firebug, Chrome inspector, etc.
- Ability to understand CSS changes and their ramifications to ensure consistent style across platforms and browsers
- Ability to convert comprehensive layout and wireframes into working HTML pages
- Knowledge of how to interact with RESTful APIs and formats (JSON, XML)
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools
- Strong understanding of PHP back-end development
- Prior experience with remote work and working for a nonprofit
- * 3+ years of professional experience in Wordpress
About Read Better Be Better
715 E Montecito Ave, PHOENIX, AZ 85014, US
Read Better Be Better (RBBB) helps children improve literacy skills and become better learners.
Arizona has a problem: 79% of third grade students are not reading at grade level. We know kids who do not graduate high school are less likely to be employed and more likely to engage in criminal behavior. So this problem has a significant social and economic cost to society.
Read Better Be Better is a nonprofit organization that helps children improve literacy skills and become better learners. We are the only nonprofit organization that inspires and equips Arizona youth to help us solve this literacy crisis.
The program pairs trained 8 th grade students with struggling third grade readers. Together, they work through our reading comprehension curriculum, followed by fun group activities; all of which are proven to develop literacy skills as a foundation for broader academic success.
Unlike any other afterschool program in Arizona, RBBB benefits two groups of children at significant developmental milestones. 3rd grade participants significantly improve reading comprehension and develop an enjoyment of reading. 8th graders show drastic increases in their sense of civic responsibility and even begin to read to siblings at home, which is the best possible solution for sustained change.
This is a Virtual Opportunity, with no fixed address.