Volunteer to teach ESL and Literacy class for adults
6 people are interested
Family Services' School and Community Youth Services program is looking for a volunteer to teach an adult ESL Literacy class.
Location: Watkins Mill Elementary School, 19001 Watkins Mill Road, Montgomery Village, MD, 20886
- Weekly preparation for and teaching of an adult English language and literacy skills class
- Tracking of student progress
- Regular communication with the School and Community Youth Services program director
- Maintaining strict confidentiality
- Age 21 and older
- Knowledge of ESL and literacy teaching methods and techniques
- Organized, dependable, flexible
- A commitment to and ability to serve a diverse community, and an understanding of a diversity of learning styles, cultures, backgrounds and adult-learner needs.
- Certification in ESL teaching and/or ESL teaching experience a plus but not required
Time commitment: Class will be held on Mondays and Thursdays from 9:00 am- 11:00 am. Time commitment also includes any preparation time.
Length of appointment: The class session will tentatively begin on October 14 and run into December. Volunteers are asked to commit to one year of service to FSI, teaching a minimum of 2 class sessions over the course of that year.
Support/Training: Volunteers must attend the FSI new volunteer orientation. ESL and literacy curriculum resources are available. Working with the School and Community Youth Services program director, the volunteer teacher will prepare the curriculum tailored to the students’ level for the 10-week course.
For more information and to apply, contact email@example.com or call 301-840-3183.
About Family Services, Inc.
610 E. Diamond Avenue, Suite 100, Gaithersburg, MD 20877, US
Family Services, Inc. promotes the resilience, recovery, and independance of individuals and families across the lifespan though mental and physical health, social service, and education, thereby stregthening communities.
For over 100 years, Family Services, Inc. provides a wide array of services and supports to over 25,000 people in Montgomery and Prince George's counties each year.
We'll work with your schedule.
Watkins Mill Elementary School19001 Watkins Mill RoadMontgomery VillageMontgomery Village, MD 20886
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Adult Education
- Literacy / Reading
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 4-6 hours/week
- Submission of completed FSI Volunteer Application