Harm Reduction Specialist
Description of Work: The Works Program volunteer provides harm reduction education including overdose prevention with naloxone, and syringe access services. The goal of the program is to reduce HIV and viral hepatitis transmission, and prevent overdose death among people who inject substances, and their partners. The program provides inclusive and supportive services in a non-judgmental setting that meets every person where they are at along the substance use continuum. The volunteer will work as a team member at the BCPH Longmont site. This position may also provide backup syringe access services for other sites in Boulder County.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Provides syringe access services and harm reduction education to participants of the Works Program at the Longmont site.
* Maintains participant confidentiality.
* Assists program staff in maintaining and organizing program supplies.
* Records accurate information for every service encounter in a database.
Training, Experience, and Benefits Gained:
* Volunteer will be oriented to the agency, staff, and programs.
* Volunteer will receive training on syringe access services, harm reduction education, data entry, supply management, and overdose prevention with naloxone.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Knowledge of substance use, harm reduction, treatment, and prevention preferred.
* Strong communication, empathy, and motivation to support people who use substances preferred.
* Commitment to understanding the social determinants of health and their impact on substance use.
* Ability to maintain confidentiality.
* Ability to work respectfully with people in crisis and from various cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds. * Ability to work effectively with angry, resistant, or intoxicated clients and their families.
* Ability to work well in group and individual environments.
* Must be able to work one or preferably two 6 hour shifts per week from 10:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m., preferably on Oct 21st-23rd, Nov 18th-20th and Dec 5th-6th.
* Must submit immunization history form and immunization documentation. Some immunizations and/or TB tests may be required (at the expense of BCPH), and volunteer/intern must comply with these requirements prior to start date.
About Boulder County Public Health
3450 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80304, US
Boulder County Public Health shall protect, promote, and enhance the health and well-being of all people and the environment in Boulder County.
Boulder County Public Health provides public health services to all residents of Boulder County.
We'll work with your schedule.
515 CoffmanLongmont, CO 80501
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training