Part time PAID Advocacy Intern
DONATE TO THIS
7 people are interested
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society is a national non-profit that exists because there are people with MS. Our vision is a world free of MS. Everything we do is focused so that people affected by MS can live their best lives as we stop MS in its tracks, restore what has been lost and end MS forever.
We are more than an organization. We are a movement. United in our collective power to do something about MS now and end this disease forever. At the National MS Society you have the opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of those living with MS and their families.
As a member of the Society team, you'll work in an environment that values collaboration, innovation, diverse perspectives, and most of all a relentless resolve so people with MS can live their best lives.
The Society's Advocacy Team serves as the public policy and government relations office for the national organization, overseeing advocacy work being done at the federal, state and local levels.
This part-time, paid internship is based in Washington, D.C. and is available for Fall 2019 and Spring 2020, 16 weeks per semester
- Legislative and regulatory research and tracking of issues (such as MS research funding, access to healthcare and long-term services and supports) at the federal and state levels.
- Regular maintenance of legislative trackers and voting records for members of congress.
- Research and work around building the Society's capacity and advocacy effectiveness including through the engagement of volunteer activists.
- Support planning around and work for Society advocacy events including its annual Public Policy Conference and State Action Days.
- Attend advocacy strategy meetings, as well as represent the Society at disability and health coalition meetings.
- Assistance in preparing materials for, attending and summarizing legislative briefings and congressional hearings.
- Support advocacy written materials including issue summaries and congressional testimony.
- Some support of the Society's advocacy social media channels.
- Create and upload content for the Society's MS Activist mobile app.
- Administrative assistance.
About National MS Society - Greater DC - Maryland
1800 M Street NW, Washington, DC 20036, US
People affected by MS can live their best lives as we stop MS in its tracks, restore what has been lost and end MS forever.
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society funds more MS research, offers more services to people with MS, provides more professional education programs and advances more MS advocacy efforts than any other MS organization in the world. Through its home office and fifty-state network of chapters, the National MS Society provides assistance to over a million people annually in its continuing mission to end the devastating effects of multiple sclerosis.
Seeking out and engaging volunteers to the MS cause is at the very core of our business. Each year the Society organizes a series of community events that provide many opportunities for the enthusiastic volunteer. The Society offers three key fundraising activities: The MS Bike Tour, MS Walk and MS Challenge Walk. The Society also engages volunteers to help influence law-makers at the federal, state and municipal levels toward legislation important to people with MS. The Society is looking for passionate volunteers with expertise in areas such as: marketing communications, public relations, corporate and donor development, medical, legal, administrative and organizational expertise.
1100 New York Ave NW # 440EWashington, DC 20005
- Administrative Support
- Data Entry
- 16 weeks per semester, part time
- Minimum Experience/Skills •Applicants should be in their senior year of college or in graduate school with education, major(s) and/or experience in advocacy/public policy (including political science), law or public health.