SECond Mission VISTA Military/Veteran Transition Coordinator - MSU Denver
Campus Compact of the Mountain West
Campus Compact of the Mountain West (CCMW) is a membership organization that engages college and university presidents throughout Colorado and Wyoming as part of a national coalition of more than 1100 colleges and universities across the country. These institutions are passionately committed to the value service learning and civic engagement brings to higher education and the community. We connect student needs to community needs by empowering students to get involved in social issues where they can make a difference - not only in the lives of others, but also in their own growth as students and citizens of the world.
SECond Mission VISTA AmeriCorps Program
The SECond Mission VISTA AmeriCorps Program focuses on building the capacity of member campuses and community-based Veteran Serving Organizations to support veterans’ access to and persistence in higher education and their successful transition to the civilian workforce.
Metro State University of Denver
At Metropolitan State University of Denver, we believe that every student should have an opportunity to better their life. And we know that higher education is the key factor in upward economic and social mobility. That’s why we offer high-quality education that prepares students to be well-rounded and work-ready.
Our students come from every background and experience. We have veterans looking to re-establish themselves in the workforce, first-generation college students trying to do a little better than their parents and plenty of people who want to change directions in their careers.
AmeriCorps Member Benefits
Full-time 35-40 hours/week
* Living stipend of $15,388.80 for one service year
* Education award commensurate with the Pell Grant (~$6,000) to be used for current educational expenses, to repay qualified student loans, or to be used within 7 years for educational expenses.
* Child care credit for eligible members
* Deferment of existing student loans during term of service
* Repayment of interest accrued on qualified student loans during the term of service
To ensure that military veteran students receive the education, support,
and access to resources that they need to be successful transitioning to Metropolitan State University of Denver, and into the civilian workforce. The VISTA member will support transition success by establishing relationships with military-affiliated students, MSU Denver staff and faculty, and area employers
Objectives and Activities
Work in collaboration the Veteran and Military Student Services office to identify military
transition challenges such as navigating relationships, and adapting to civilian culture. The
VISTA will work to find and build resources to help military veterans succeed academically, as
well as plan and prepare for transition into the civilian workforce.
1. Establish relationships with military friendly organizations and military units to foster
opportunities for targeted outreach to military veterans.
2. Attend Veteran Orientation and identify ways that the orientation can be improved.
3. Create events for military-affiliated students that encourages comradery, academic
achievement, volunteerism, and/ or collaboration with other organizations/departments
at MSU Denver.
4. Collaborate with C2 Hub/ Career Services to establish and promote opportunities for
career exploration, resume writing, negotiation skills, and networking with area
5. Participate in and promote equity and inclusion in the Veteran and Military Students
services center and across campus.
Launch transition minded programs.
1. Attend/table at outreach events. Assist with the creation of Military/Veteran specific
2. Assist with presenting Veteran and Military portions of orientations.
3. Plan and organize events on campus for military/veteran students.
4. Work with C2 Hub/Career Services/Internships to plan and organize career centered
events for military veterans.
About Campus Compact of the Mountain West
333 Regis Blvd, Denver, CO 80221, US
Campus Compact of the Mountain West is a membership organization of college and university presidents devoted to promoting civic learning. CCMW is part of a national coalition of more than 1100 colleges and universities who are passionately committed to the value service learning and civic engagement brings to higher education and the community. We believe it is one of the most powerful tools to prepare students to be active, committed, and informed leaders and citizens
The SECond Mission AmeriCorps VISTA program employs best practices identified by the Departments of Veterans Affairs, Defense, Labor, and Education to support veterans’ access to and success in higher education that are currently not offered (or are in the inchoate stages of development) at partner campuses and organizations. These practices include: 1) Collaborating with local communities and organizations, including government agencies, to align and coordinate various services for veterans. 2) Creating a culture of trust and connectedness on campuses through the development of peer-to-peer mentoring programs and support groups. 3) Creating a uniform set of data tools to collect and track information on student veterans, including demographics, retention, and degree completion. 4) Providing comprehensive professional development for faculty and staff.
800 W. 8th AvenueUnit 111DenverDenver, CO 80204
- Adult Education
- Orientation or Training
- Full-time 35-40 hours/week
- Please send cover letter and resume to Engagement Specialist Ashley Knight at email@example.com