17 people are interested
The Helpline Crisis Counselor Volunteer provides immediate mental health and crisis counseling, as well as suicide intervention to callers upon completion of a thorough assessment and identification of most presenting needs. Information and referral services may be rendered if deemed appropriate and necessary.
*Currently looking for Volunteers/Interns to help over the phone or using our Chat feature (which is for people struggling with suicidal thoughts).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Consistently adheres to assigned schedule (weekly 4-hour shift) and demonstrates some flexibility in regards to contact center coverage needs.
- Provide telephone crisis counseling as well as suicide intervention services to callers experiencing crisis situations.
- Provide appropriate information and referrals to social service agencies for callers seeking additional assistance.
- Prioritize, set clear time limits, and terminate properly calls from active/ difficult callers.
- Provide outstanding customer service to callers with strong detail orientation and communication/ listening skills.
- Possess a strong work ethic and team player mentality with a pleasant, patient and friendly attitude.
- Complete suicide risk assessments for callers at-risk and schedule follow-up consultation for priority cases.
- Ensures data is accurately entered into Service Point in a timely manner.
- Adheres to confidentiality policies and procedures as well as HIPAA regulations.
- Collaborate with Managers in special projects, as assigned.
- Report any issues of non-compliance of protocols to Managers.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Diversity - Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; educates others on the value of diversity; Promotes a harassment-free environment; Builds a diverse workforce.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
Computer skills are also important, ability to be kind/patient/empathetic, practice active listening, and bilingual volunteers are highly encouraged to apply! Training is provided.
About 211 Palm Beach/Treasure Coast
PO Box 3588, Lantana, FL 33465, US
211 Palm Beach/Treasure Coast assists people in need by providing information, referral, crisis intervention and community education.
We provide information and referrals on social services and other needed agencies for callers who seek help in various areas, including crisis, financial, legal, health information, assistance for the elderly, and basic needs. We are the crisis line, the elder help line and the teen hot line for five counties (Palm Beach, Okeechobee, Indian River, St. Lucie and Martin). We are here to listen and to talk to people in crisis including callers who may be suicidal.
We'll work with your schedule.
PO Box 3588Lantana, FL 33465
- Crisis Intervention
- Disaster Relief Call Center
- Data Entry
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Crisis Counseling
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 4 hour weekly shift