DONATE TO THIS
6 people are interested
Help Dispatch Volunteer Disaster Responders in Your Community (Remote Opportunity)
ORGANIZATION: American Red Cross - Cascades Region
Please visit the new page to apply.
DONATE TO THIS
6 people are interested
In the Cascades Region (Oregon and SW Washington), the Red Cross will respond to an average of two home fires per day. To ensure we are supporting our community it is crucial that we have volunteers supporting our efforts by dispatching and coordinating our volunteer teams. This role can be performed from anywhere a volunteer has access to a computer, internet connection, and phone.
The Duty Officer is the on-call operations lead for the Cascades Region and ensures a timely and appropriate response to emergencies that occur with the region. The Duty Officer receives the initial request for assistance from first response agencies and individuals that have experienced a disaster; coordinates the mobilization and deployment of initial responders to the disaster scene; and provides ongoing technical assistance and deployment of additional support resources as needed.
- Receive and screen calls, evaluate response needs, and deploy appropriate Red Cross responders
- Provide technical support for responders including:
- Performing an initial assessment and verification of the disaster
- Serving as a liaison between the Disaster Action Team (DAT) responders and other support teams
- Providing guidance to DAT about questions related to specific assistance that may be provided to clients
- Identifying temporary lodging for disaster clients.
- Initiating a case in the Client Assistance System (CAS 2.0)
- Maintains regular communication with deployed responders
- Accurately completes incident reporting and sends out response notifications using regional systems in a timely manner.
- Contacting the Manager On Call for technical assistance and guidance for incidents that are non-routine or may trigger an extended need for service delivery (i.e. opening a congregate shelter or service center
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong written, listening, and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to learn and implement Red Cross service delivery policies, procedures, and services.
- Ability to work effectively as part of the team.
- Ability to adapt to change, negotiate compromise, seek clarity, be flexible, and manage ambiguity.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work for extended periods of time under stressful conditions.
- Ability to effectively work with diverse cultures including their own and others.
- Ability to use basic computer programs (Word, Excel), email, Exchange.
- Ability to treat clients and workforce with patience and compassion.
- Detail oriented
- Values diversity
- Ability to give and take performance-related feedback
- Self-awareness about one’s knowledge and has the ability to seek assistance
- Knowledge about the designated chain of command and Incident Command System
Minimum two, eight-hour shifts per month for a period of at least one year.
12:00 AM to 06:00 AM
- morning / 06:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- 12:00 PM to 06:00 PM
06:00 PM to 12:00 AM
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
About American Red Cross - Cascades Region
3131 N. Vancouver Ave, Portland, OR 97227, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
Every single day, the American Red Cross helps people in emergencies. Whether it's one displaced family, thousands of disaster victims, or providing care and comfort to an ill or injured service member or veteran or support to a military family member, our vital work is made possible by people like you. It is through the time and care of ordinary people that we can do extraordinary things. The Red Cross workforce is made up of over 90% volunteers, meaning our mission is carried out by community members like yourself.
Linn CountyAlbany, OR 97321
September 1, 2023
- Disaster Relief Call Center
- Customer Service
- Disaster Response
- Problem Solving
- Verbal / Written Communication
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Two, six-hour shifts per month
- 1 year minimum