Volunteer Softball Coach with a Fantastic Girls Little League Program!
Downtown Little League's fastpitch softball program is looking for volunteer coaches to work with girls between the ages of 5-18 during our Spring, Fall, and Winter seasons.
In addition to outstanding parent volunteers, our Little League has had a lot of success with non-parent volunteers, including several who currently serve on our league's Board of Directors. Consequently, we're always looking for volunteer softball coaches, particularly those with experience playing or coaching sports at the college level and beyond.
Currently, we have an emphasis and focus on finding more female softball coaches who can serve as role models for the girls in our program. We firmly believe that this plays a critical role in impacting the perceptions and future aspirations of our girls and how they see and understand leadership in the world. Over the long term, we aspire to achieve at least a 50-50 gender split of coaches. Some of the material that serves as our inspiration is below:
- Sports Coaching Is Still A Male Dominated Field by The Atlantic, Jul 27, 2017 - https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/535167/
- Where Are the Women by NCAA Champion Magazine - http://www.ncaa.org/static/champion/where-are-the-women/
- Why More Women Coaches Are Needed by WeCoach - https://wecoachsports.org/
- Declining Rates of Female Youth Coaches by Aspen Institute 2018 - https://www.aspeninstitute.org/blog-posts/10-charts-that-show-progress-challenges-to-fix-youth-sports/
- Game On: Women Can Coach by PBS Twin Cities - https://www.tpt.org/gameon/video/game-on-women-can-coach-uemfpy/
Times vary by season and age but commitment is about 1 to 3 hours a week. We're flexible and more than happy to work with you to find the right role in our program depending on your schedule and availability.
If you're interested in becoming a volunteer coach or discussing how you can help, please contact us via the methods below with a little bit of information about yourself and we will get back to you. Thanks!
felix.zhang21 at gmail.com
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
We'll work with your schedule.
Battery Park BallfieldsNew York, NY 10282
- Sports Coaching
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Flexible, typically 1 to 3 hours a week
- Have an energetic and positive attitude!