Volunteer as a board member for fair trade!
8 people are interested
Ten Thousand Villages Alexandria is looking for dynamic and engaging volunteer Board Members to fill a variety of roles on our Board of Directors.
In search of board members who have experience in, but not limited to, Marketing, Retail & Sales and Development Professionals.
Duties of the board are as follows:
- Determines how Ten Thousand Villages Alexandria will carry out its mission through long and short-range planning
- Adopts an annual budget and provides fiscal oversight
- Recruits, orients, and develops board members
- Establishes policies for the effective management of Ten Thousand Villages Alexandria
- Hires and evaluates the performance of the Director/Manager
- Consults with manager on new ideas and/or strategies to continually growth the organization.
- A commitment to fair trade and Ten Thousand Village’s contribution to fair trade.
- Know Ten Thousand Villages mission, goals, bylaws, policies, programs, services, strengths and needs.
- Attend board meetings and appropriate committee meetings
- Actively serve on at least one committee and offer to take on special assignments when needed
- Review agenda and supporting documents prior to meetings
- Participate and help plan special events
Board terms are for three years and can be renewed for second term of three years.
Board meetings are held once a month for roughly 2 hours. Board meetings are usually the third Thursday of the month starting at 7:30 pm at the King street store location. Board members are expected to attend the majority of board meetings.
Board members are also expected to be actively engaged in answering emails and partaking in unscheduled/special board phone calls when needed.
About Ten Thousand Villages - Alexandria
915 King Street, Alexandria, VA 22314, US
Ten Thousand Villages' mission is to create opportunities for artisans in developing countries to earn income by bringing their products and stories to our markets through long-term fair trading relationships.
Ten Thousand Villages operates as a business, marketing quality products from diverse cultures around the world made by people that we know and care enough about to do business in a manner that together we consider fair. Ten Thousand Villages of Alexandria is a fair trade retail store that markets the arts and crafts of people in developing countries who would otherwise be unemployed or underemployed. Our objective is to provide vital, fair income to these artisans. This income empowers them to secure food, education and healthcare for their families, to improve their housing and to contribute to their communities.
We'll work with your schedule.
915 King StreetAlexandria, VA 22314
- Program Management
- Business Development
- Group Facilitation
- Professional Development
- Retail / Sales
- People 55+
- Must be at least 21
- -2 hours of board meetings a month, 4-5 hours of business communication (email, phone, etc. ) and business support per month
- -Looking for someone who lives in Alexandria area but are open to anyone in the DMV (or dialing in remotely)