Food Shopping Volunteer
Food Gatherers and Corner Health CenterPurpose:
Each week the Corner restocks the food pantry to provide our patients with a variety of healthful foods to maintain healthy lives. Volunteers will use their own vehicle to drive to Food Gatherers and "shop" for food to restock the Corner Food Pantry.Time Commitment:
Must sign up for one weekly shop a month, Mondays 10:30am-12:30pm.Works with:
Corner team members, including staff, interns, other volunteers and our youth.Duties and Responsibilities: Tasks may vary depending on which shift being worked:
- Communicate with Corner Store Staff to know what items are in need each week before shop
- Arrive to Food Gatherers 5 minutes before designated shop time to check in
- Work with Food Gatherers staff and other agencies shopping at the same time to ensure equitable distribution of groceries
- Transport food from Food Gatherers to the Corner following safe food transporting guidelines
- Unload groceries from car into the store
- Organize, restock and update food pantry inventory as needed
- Light cleaning (sweeping, dusting, wipe down fridge etc.)
- Responsible for accurately recording volunteer hours
- Must have reliable car with capacity to transport up to 200lbs of food and dry goods.
- Up to date proof of insurance for vehicle must be provided to Corner staff before first shop.
- Basic knowledge of a well-balanced diet and taking into account cultural dietary needs of our clients.
- Strong organizational skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to stand, lift, walk, use stairs and bend
- Physical capability to lift up to 20lbs repeatedly.
- Comfortable working with people of varying socioeconomic backgrounds, sexual orientations, and ethnic diversity
- Personal awareness and emotional maturity
- Volunteer orientation
- On the job training/shadowing, complete at least 1 shop at Food Gatherers with Corner Health staff
- Wear comfortable, appropriate clothes for the assigned daily tasks such as jeans and volunteer t-shirt.
- Close toed shoes
- Volunteer badge and nametag must be worn during volunteer shift in a visible location.
**Mileage will not be reimbursed by the Corner but may be considered as an in-kind donation. Please ask a staff member for an in-kind donation form **
About CORNER HEALTH CENTER
47 N HURON ST, YPSILANTI, MI 48197, US
Our mission is to provide judgment-free, high-quality, affordable health services to young people aged 12 through 25.
Started in 1981, the Corner Health Center has been a cornerstone for health care among Washtenaw County youth.
We'll work with your schedule.
1 Carrot WayAnn Arbor, MI 48105
- Food Delivery / Distribution
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Mondays 10:30am-12:30pm