33 people are interested
Help us serve young people and this community!
ORGANIZATION: CORNER HEALTH CENTER
Please visit the new page to apply.
33 people are interested
In a nutshell: Our Corner Store Volunteers help connect patrons to much-needed resources, including fresh food, hygiene, household items, and more! The Corner Store, located in the basement, is a free, safety net program that provides tangible support for both Corner patients and the community, at large. The Corner Store Volunteer will manage the overall functioning of the Corner Store during their shift, and assist patrons in accessing it.
At least 3 hrs/wk. This is a weekly shift - the same day and time each week - ideally with intention of staying for at least a few months. *We are not open on weekends.
Duties: Tasks may vary depending on which shift is being worked.
- Check volunteer bulletin/clipboard for requested daily tasks
- Assist patients with their shopping experience in the Corner Store
- Record and maintain accurate data of client’s visit/items selected
- Maintain accurate inventory, organize and restock items
- Light cleaning (sweeping, dusting, wipe down fridge etc.)
- Responsible for accurately signing in and out of the volunteer binder each shift
- Encourage patients to take advantage of healthy pantry options, useful Store items, and share information about Corner programs and/or services
- *This role can also expand/evolve into other tasks if after you gain experience as the Store volunteer you would like to explore additional responsibilities
- Must be 18+ years of age
- Good communication and customer service skills
- Maintaining privacy and confidentiality of all personal information
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to stand, lift, walk and bend, and go up and down stairs
- Physical capability to lift up to 20lbs. Accommodations can be made, as needed
- Comfortable working with people of varying sexual, gender, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Volunteer orientation paperwork
- On the job training/shadowing in store with Corner Health staff
- Wear comfortable, appropriate clothes for the assigned daily tasks such as jeans and a shirt.
- Close toed shoes
Frequently Asked Questions
How busy is the Corner Store?
Traffic is highly variable and can be hard to predict. However, generally, there are about 3-10 visits to the Store per day, so if you worked a 4-hour shift, you might be assisting a handful of patrons. There would be no other volunteers with you, so volunteers need to be comfortable working independently and will minimal supervision. Though, of course, staff will sometimes be collaborating with you and requesting assistance with various tasks.
Will this volunteer opportunity give me hands-on experience in the clinic?
Many students pursuing a health career want volunteer experience providing health interventions with patients in our clinic. For this role, however, you would be situated in the basement of the health clinic, overseeing the functioning of our Corner Store pantry program. This volunteer role requires accessing the clinic, at times, to help with restocking and organizational tasks, but it is not a clinical role.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About CORNER HEALTH CENTER
47 N HURON ST, YPSILANTI, MI 48197, US
Our mission is to provide judgment-free, high-quality, affordable health services to young people aged 12 through 25.
Started in 1981, the Corner Health Center has been a cornerstone for health care among Washtenaw County youth.
47 N. Huron St.YpsilantiYpsilanti, MI 48197
September 28, 2022
- Food Delivery / Distribution
- People Skills
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 3+ hours a week. This position is for a weekly shift - has the same start and end time each week.
- Seeking folks who are personable and comfortable working with diverse populations.