Fall 2019 Environmental Behavior Design Projects/Research Assistant
5 people are interested
Fall 2019 Project & Research Assistant
Root Solutions is seeking volunteers to join a team of visionaries, creators, and disruptors who want to re-shape the future of the environmental movement in North America and beyond. We are currently looking for Project/Research Assistants to join our team. Although this is a volunteer position, you will be an active member of our team. You are vital to the success of programs that will transform the environmental movement and the planet.
Under the supervision of the Manager of Projects and Partnerships, the Project Associate, and the Executive Director, the Project/Research Assistant will play an active role in all of Root Solutions initiatives. Projects may include, but are not limited to:
- Researching how behavioral design can reduce paper use, single-use plastics use, energy use, water use, and more
- Acting as a research assistant for our environmental behavioral design practitioner’s guide book -- translating research into more accessible, actionable information; fact-checking existing book content
- Assisting with client projects such as marine-debris prevention projects and paper reduction projects
- Assisting in the design of training materials
- Developing content for our website and social media
- Assisting with partnership and business development efforts
Qualifications/skills and knowledge requirements
- Ideal candidate is an undergraduate or graduate student or recent post-grad seeking experience in the intersection of environment + behavior
- Must have strong research and writing skills
- Must be well-organized, self-motivated and detail-oriented
- Must be able to adapt and to prioritize
- Must have the ability to meet deadlines and demonstrate initiative
- Must have access to a personal laptop equipped with Microsoft Office Suite
- Potential projects include working on Root Solution’s book, a marine debris project, a shotgun wad project, and designing course materials.
- We work hard to pair our volunteers with projects that are interesting to them or important for their career growth.
Root Solutions works to provide conservationists and policy makers with tools and resources informed by the proven methods of behavioral economics and behavior design, allowing them to create more effective campaigns, policies, and strategies that reflect how people are actually motivated and make decisions. By understanding human behavior, and the factors which influence the choices people make, conservationists will be able to "nudge" people toward decisions and behaviors that are good for them and good for the planet.
As a young non-profit with ambitious goals (including expanding our work to all cause movements), our existing funding is restricted to program activities. Root Solutions is primarily volunteer-run.
Location & Logistics
This position includes primarily working in-person in Sausalito and Mill Valley, with the opportunity to mix in remote work. We generally ask for either:
- A commitment of at least 4 working days per week over a 10-week period. Ideal start date would be in October or November 2019, with an end date in December 2019 or January 2020.
- A commitment of 2 working days per week until 40 days are reached. Ideal start date would be in early October 2019, with an end date in February 2020.
All work is expected to be completed during normal business hours. However, we are happy to offer flexibility with your schedule, and are open to any variants of days that work best for you.
This is a volunteer position
Interested applicants should submit a brief cover letter and resume to:
Manager, Projects & Partnerships
Subject Heading: Fall Project/Research Assistant
Indicate whether you are able to work for class credit or note whether you will receive any work-study or grant money for this position. Please also indicate the percentage of time you would be able to commit to working in person.
About Root Solutions
405 14th Street, Suite 164, Oakland, CA 94612, US
Root Solutions is dedicated to providing environmentalists and policy makers with tools and resources informed by the proven methods of behavioral science - allowing them to create more effective campaigns, policies, and strategies that reflect how people actually make decisions that are good for the environment.
Decisions are at the root of our environmental challenges and solutions
The environmental movement needs a robust arsenal of proven, cutting edge methods to help slow and eventually reverse the world’s ongoing environmental degradation. In order to encourage people and policymakers to make smarter environmental decisions and engage in actions that will contribute to environmental health, understanding human behavior and how we make decisions needs to become the environmental movement’s new expertise. Because when you come right down to it, decisions and the actions that result are at the root of all the environmental challenges we face, and the solutions we need to address them.
Behavioral Science and Root Solutions: A powerful approach and a new organization to help apply it
The good news is that for the past 20+ years, the disciplines which make up the field known as "behavioral science" have been researching what motivates behavior, how people make choices, and the factors which lead to less than optimal decision making. In fact, it’s been said that we are right now, in the "golden age" of decision science.
People working in a wide variety of sectors including business, public health, and politics have been putting this learning into action with impressive results. It’s time for the environmental movement to do the same. Root Solutions is dedicated to helping make that happen.
TBDMill Valley, CA 94941
- Environmental Policy
- Environmental Education
- Environmental Science