Live Animals Assistant Volunteer
DONATE TO THIS
10 people are interested
Tidal Pool Volunteers run our Tidal Pool display that gives visitors an up-close experience with some aquatic life here at the museum.Volunteers invite guests to meet and observe the sea stars and their home here at the museum, and receive training to bring out an animal friend for a Keeper Talk program.Volunteers also learn the basics of animal care as they work alongside and assist staff behind the scenes in and around the zoo.
· Bring a positive energy to educate and engage with guests at the museum.
· Be friendly and knowledgeable about what the museum offers to assist volunteers.
· Lead and assist with the Tidal Pool and Keeper Talk public programs.
· Help with behind the scenes task of animal husbandry such as developing enrichment or cleaning habitats.
· Observe and communicate animal behavior to staff keepers.
· Assist and observe animal keepers in projects.
· Communicate with supervisors regarding schedules and availability.
· Be flexible and ready to learn and assist with new opportunities.
09:00 AM to 12:00 PM
01:00 PM to 04:00 PM
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
About Dayton Society of Natural History
2600 DeWeese Parkway, Dayton, OH 45414, US
The mission of the Dayton Society of Natural History is to educate and enlighten all people of the region about the wonders of the world through the work of the Boonshoft Museum of Discovery, SunWatch Indian Village/Archaeological Park, and Fort Ancient Earthworks and Nature Preserve.
The Boonshoft Museum of Discovery is based on the understanding that science is the process through which we come to understand our world, and that play is the way children do science. Thus, we are a place where play and learning come together so that visitors of all ages can explore the wonders of the world. The Museum includes a host of places for adventure: the Hall of the Universe, the Caryl D. Philips Space Theater, Oscar Boonshoft Science Central, the Mead TreeHouse, Bieser Discovery Center, The Discovery Zoo, and two galleries for temporary exhibits. Adventures are enhanced through real specimens and artifacts from the museum's collection of 1.8 million items.
Our sister site, SunWatch Indian Village, brings to life the 900 year old Fort Ancient culture. Here visitors of all ages can experience the daily lives of these members of Dayton's first neighborhood.
SunWatch currently combines experimental archaeological research, including the reconstruction of the Fort Ancient structures in their original 13th century locations, with an interpretive center that exhibits many of the artifacts that have been recovered from the site. The village reconstruction includes five lath and daub structures with grass thatch roofs, portions of a stockade, and a native garden and prairie with plants typical of the period. Inferred astronomical alignments originate from a complex of posts at the center of the village that have also been replaced.
We'll work with your schedule.
This opportunity has 2 shifts
2600 Deweese PkwyDayton, OH 45414
- Teaching / Instruction
- Animal Care / Handling
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Verbal / Written Communication
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Volunteer shifts are 3 hours in length, but we can work with your schedule.
- A volunteer application will be sent that must be completed and submitted online. You may also find one at our website. Applications are accepted from August 12th-April 15th.