25 people are interested
Veterans Resource Center Volunteer
25 people are interested
Title: Veterans Resource Center Volunteer
Importance of Position: Serve as point of contact to ensure that Veterans and Veteran families of every era know how to get connected to the state and federal benefits and services they have earned through military service.
Description: Under the direction of the Community Services Senior Librarian, staff the Veterans’ Resource Center in the library to meet with Veterans and/or family members. Assist each Veteran or Veteran family member to connect to the appropriate resources (state and federal); if necessary, to assist with the completion of the My Cal Vet online form, and to provide contact information using the California Veteran’s Resource Book for the County Veterans Service Office in their area. Serve as an expert listener and initial problem solver.
- Ideal candidate has an interest in helping and serving Veterans and their families.
- Familiarity with military life, Veterans’ issues, reintegration challenges, or willingness to learn.
- Basic computer and internet skills required and smart phone experience helpful.
- Patience, empathy and good listening and interpersonal skills.
- High customer service standards, professionalism, and positive attitude.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Complete orientation, training and gain familiarity with the Veterans’ Resource Center.
- Staff the Veterans’ Resource Center for a minimum of one 2-hour shift per week.
- Meet and assist Veterans and/or Veteran family members.
- Connect Veteran to the appropriate resources and provide contact information.
- May assist with the completion of online forms.
Location: Veterans Resource Center, Main Library.
Training Provided: Required training is provided via online training modules available at www.calibrariesforveterans.org. Additional training is offered by library supervisor and via webinars or on-ground workshops from Cal Vet or other Veterans Service Organization on as needed basis. All volunteers will receive an orientation to the Main Library. Training will be provided on a continuous basis.
Hours: Commitment to work at least one 2-hour shift per week for at least 3-6 months minimum. Hours and commitment may be flexible depending on the assignment.
Application Process: All volunteers must complete and return the required application and meet with the librarian to discuss skills and interests in an informal interview. Volunteers age 18 and over are required to pass a Live Scan/fingerprint background check available at the police department.
Volunteers work at the will of the library and may be released at any time.
Contact person: If interested, please contact the Volunteer Services Librarian by phone at (562) 570-7500 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Volunteer application forms are available at http://www.lbpl.org/info/volunteer_program/default.asp.Thank you for your interest in the Long Beach Public Library.
10:00 AM to 11:45 AM
12:00 PM to 01:00 PM
02:00 PM to 06:00 PM
Wednesday and Thursday shifts
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
About Long Beach Public Library
200 W. Broadway, Long Beach, CA 90802, US
The Public Library is dedicated to free and equal access to information, knowledge, independent lifelong learning, cultural enrichment, and the joys of reading for our diverse community.
Public libraries in California seek to engage the talents, skills and commitment of volunteers to serve the communities' information and literacy needs. Libraries offer a variety of skilled volunteer opportunities to make a meaningful contribution to library programs, operations, fundraising events and other community engagement functions. Skilled volunteers have opportunities to lead projects, work with teams of staff and volunteers, learn new skills, and have fun.
200 W. BroadwayLong Beach, CA 90802
November 27, 2021
- Veteran Care
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 30
- Orientation or Training
- Commitment to volunteer at least one 2-hour shift per week for at least 3-6 months minimum. Hours and commitment may be flexible depending on the assignment.
- Ideal candidate has an interest in helping and serving Veterans and their families or a retired Veteran. Have familiarity with military life, Veterans' issues, reintegration challenges, or willingness to learn.