Do you love to teach kids?
1 person is interested
Granny's Garden is seeking individuals with skill in leading hands on, outdoor learning to elementary age students. You do not need to have a teaching degree, but must have the ability to lead engaging, effective, hands on, experiential learning for the students. Lesson Plans, aligned with Ohio learning standards, will be provided across a variety of science, math and social studies topics. Teaching is delivered in an outdoor vegetable garden or nature trail at the Loveland Primary/Elementary school depending on the topic. Our Fall education program will start early Sept and go until we put the gardens to bed for the winter. We will also have opportunities in the Spring starting in March. We provide the school teachers a schedule of opportunities that they sign up for (using SignUp Genius). You would be responsible for preparing for your lesson, leading the lesson in a fun, interactive way to engage the students, and putting away any supplies used. Lessons are delivered indoors in case of inclement weather. Our schedule is designed with high flexibility for our Garden Educators - so you can provide the days/times that you'd be available and want to teach and we create the full schedule accordingly. Thus, you can offer to teach a few times per month or up to daily back to back lessons every week or day! This can be on a voluntary basis or fee based contract proposals will be considered by the nonprofit board.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Granny's Garden School - Outdoor Hands On Learning
550 Loveland-Madeira Road, Loveland, OH 45140, US
Granny's Garden School is a non-profit organization established in 2002 to develop and manage garden and nature based programs on elementary school grounds. Our outdoor classrooms are used to enhance classroom study while allowing children to experience nature, the satisfaction of growing their own food and contributing harvest to the local food pantry.
Our program in Loveland, OH, serving ~1,500 1st-4th grade students is one of the most comprehensive school garden programs in the country. In 2014, we expanded to include Stewart Elementary the largest elementary school in Princeton City Schools a neighboring Title 1 district.
Granny’s Garden School provides schools with a complete package of services that include:
- Design and year-round maintenance of educational food gardens and nature trails on the school’s grounds.
- A customized, age appropriate curriculum aligned with both school and state requirements
- A schedule of outdoor learning classes provided for classroom teacher signup
- Trained professional Garden Educators prepared to teach lessons
- A non-profit board overseeing results and building a sustainable operation with strong school and teacher partnership
- Hands-on learning enhancing student understanding of science, math and the natural world as they interact with their environment.
- Donation to local food pantry and use of all food grown
- Student discovery they like carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, beets and even onions as they snack on them fresh from the gardens
- Student connection and observation of change in nature
Lesson plans on our website are accessed by garden educators across the country. Many have come to Loveland to learn about the program.
600 Loveland-Madeira RoadLoveland, OH 45140
- General Education
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
- Environmental Science
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Flexible scheduling based on your interest and availability in the 9-3pm time range weekdays. Lessons run about 40 minutes with 15-20 between back to back lessons.
- Effective in delivering interactive, hands on learning to children to engage them in the topic and activities