DONATE TO THIS
5 people are interested
DONATE TO THIS
5 people are interested
The Center for Free, Fair, and Accountable Democracy (CFFAD) is seeking an unpaid volunteer director of finance and administration (treasurer) who can play the central role in managing CFFAD’s financial and administrative needs. Our budget is well under US$1 million in size.
The director of finance and administration will define the processes and implement the systems needed to establish CFFAD and support its future growth. She or he will build and manage simple but accurate and effective administrative/financial systems, including financial, accounting, and donor transactions.
As a member of the senior management team, the director will be involved in strategic planning, and evaluation, as well as facilitating the start-up, stabilization, and eventual expansion of CFFAD capacity and activities.
Directors are elected for a one-year term at the annual general meeting of the members. Directors are, however, encouraged to stand for reelection as often as they wish.
- Define the processes and implement the systems needed to establish CFFAD and support its future growth. Build and manage simple but accurate and effective administrative/financial systems, including financial, accounting, and donor contributions.
- Help devise rules and procedures to be used by Directors and other volunteers in order to ensure good corporate governance, including an efficient hand-over of duties, if needed.
- Keep a calendar of important dates.
- Review and approve preparation and finalization of monthly and annual financial reporting materials and metrics for the board of directors.
- Oversee budget planning and implementation, financial forecasting, and cash flow for administration.
- Record all donations in a database and be responsible for ensuring each donor receives confirmation of receipt and any applicable tax-exempt status.
- Prepare all reports and forms required by the IRS and state authorities well in advance of legal filing deadlines.
- If needed, help recruit and manage volunteers for financial and administrative roles.
- Coordinate all audit activities.
- Serve as a business partner to the President on the organization’s financial, budgeting, administrative, and donor processes.
- Chair any finance committees that may eventually be raised.
- Although not required, directors are encouraged to support CFFAD financially by assisting in the identification and solicitation of potential donors, wherever possible.
The director of finance and administration (treasurer) will have at least three years of professional experience, including managing the finance and administration of a non-profit organization. She or he will have experience creating and driving the analytic framework for planning and facilitating organizational capacity and growth.
The director of finance and administration will have the following experience and attributes:
- At least 5 years prior experience serving as a non-profit treasurer or associated financial management and accounting roles in the nonprofit sector
- At least a bachelor’s degree (MA/MBA preferred) in Business, Management, or Finance
- Experience should include legal, audit, compliance, budget, and resource development
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities, proposing new ways of creating efficiencies or capacities
- Flexible and a self-starter; able to multi-task while also being highly detail-oriented.
- Excellent people skills, with experience collaborating with a diverse, multidisciplinary team of volunteers
- Familiarity with accounting and tax software for non-profit functions such as Aplos, Quickbooks, Sage, or Zoho. Familiarity with donor relations and tracking software would be an added bonus.
Requirements & Commitment
- Non-negotiable commitment to non-partisan behavior while assisting or representing CFFAD
- Willingness and ability to prioritize the mission of CFFAD
- Personal qualities of integrity and credibility
- Live in the greater Washington, DC area.
- Willingness to volunteer 5-15 hours per week - for at least a full year.
- Initial orientation or training.
About CENTER FOR FREE FAIR AND ACCOUNTABLE DEMOCRACY INC
2500 N FLORIDA ST, ARLINGTON, VA 22207, US
We are all about civic education for ages 18 and up. We help people understand (1) what it takes for a democracy to work well, and (2) how to live it, protect it, and improve it.
Our primary mission is to provide civic education to adults ages 18 and up. To that end, we have already published many short courses that hundreds of people have already accessed. A specially tailored version of one of our course appears on the Ballotpedia website. We will continue building our audience and expanding our materials.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
August 27, 2021
- Strategic Planning
- Business Analysis
- Financial Auditing
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 30
- Orientation or Training
- 5-15 hours per week