Become a Storyteller at a local preschool
6 people are interested
The Santa Cruz Public Libraries (SCPL) has a unique opportunity for community members to conduct storytimes at designated local preschools as a Library volunteer. Through SCPL's outreach program called Storytellers, you will be trained by a Librarian to introduce the love of reading, library resources and play-based learning to children in local preschools.
SCPL volunteer Storytellers:
- enjoy children and are comfortable engaging the attention of a large group of preschoolers;
- clear LiveScan background screen at Library expense;
- successfully complete 8 hours Library Storyteller training which includes observing at least one Library preschool storytime;
- are willing to receive instruction & feedback on how to conduct storytimes;
- possess a friendly, welcoming demeanor and tactful approach to customer service;
- provide proof of MMR vaccine (exempt if born before 1957), Tdap vaccine (tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis), & Neg. TB test, flu shot;
- present CA drivers license, proof of insurance, and have reliable transportation;
- commit to volunteer for at least one academic year
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Santa Cruz Public Libraries
117 Union Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95060, US
The Santa Cruz Public Libraries enhance Santa Cruz County's quality of life by providing vibrant physical and virtual public spaces where people connect, discover, and engage the mind. All ages have the opportunity to nurture their love of reading, find diverse and relevant resources for entertainment and enrichment, and strengthen community networks.
As integral members of the Santa Cruz Public Libraries team, volunteers enhance the level of service our staff provides through a variety of opportunities.
117 Union StreetSanta Cruz, CA 95060
- Literacy / Reading
- Child Development
- People Skills
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Conduct 20-30 minutes bi-weekly Storytimes; Prepping for Storytime (1-3 hours bi-weekly)