Woodshop - AmeriCorps - Get paid to volunteer
1 person is interested
Bridging AZ Furniture Bank is seeking a community minded individual for a half-time, 20 hour per week (950 hours for a 1 year commitment) AmeriCorps position. Anyone looking for an opportunity to make a difference in the community while receiving a stipend, gaining new skills and experiences is encouraged to apply. AmeriCorps works like the Peace Corps but you would work on domestic issues right here in Mesa Arizona.
AmeriCorps is a program of the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS), an independent federal agency whose mission is to improve lives, strengthen communities, and foster civic engagement through service and volunteering. Half-time participants earn a monthly stipend of $585.21 (before taxes) plus an education award of $2,907 after your year of service to be used toward continuing education, student loans or if participant is 55 years or older the education award can be assigned to one of their direct decedents. AmeriCorps engages Americans in intensive service at nonprofits, schools, public agencies, and community and faith-based groups across the country.
Job Title: Woodshop Woodworker and Trainer
Job Description: This position will assist repairing, designing and building furniture and other items.
Summary: Veterans Furniture Project is a new program developed to engage veterans in a woodworking shop environment. The program is geared towards veterans who are unemployed OR disabled OR just wanting to learn new skills helping them transition back into the workforce OR create a business of their own.
Essential duties/ Responsibilities:
- Safety - ensure a safe working environment
- Clean and organize warehouse and shop areas
- Learn proper use of hand and power tools
- Conduct inventory of materials, tools and equipment and anticipate future needs.
- Work with volunteers and staff members building and repairing furniture type items
- Work with supervisors to develop strategies to expand program and engage volunteers
- Experience in fine woodworking, working in a shop environment - metal working a plus
- Highly ethical, trustworthy, dependable
- Positive attitude, team player, flexible
- Able to prioritize, support multiple projects, define problems, make decisions
- Effective communication skills: verbal, written, phone
- Self-motivated with strong research, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Outgoing personality with ability to build and maintain relationships
- Member will be required to successfully pass a background check by Mesa United Way
25 N EXTENSION RDMesaMesa, AZ 85201
- Sales Coaching & Training
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 24
- Orientation or Training
- one year commitment = 950 hours about 20 hours per week.