Hollin Farm Food Recovery on Sundays
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
Every year, 100 billion pounds of food are thrown away in the United States. At the same time, 49 million Americans go hungry. Food for Others is working to change both of these statistics. We are looking for gleaning volunteers to help recover excess produce from Hollin Farms, so that we may distribute it to those in need.
If you are interested in spending the day picking fruits and veggies in one of Virginia’s most beautiful farms and orchards, this is the volunteer opportunity for you!
Gleaning volunteers will provide their own transportation to and from the farm. Once on the farm, they will spend ~3 hours picking excess crops that this partner farm has so generously allowed us to harvest.
All volunteers must sign up by the Wednesday before the trip to be notified with trip details.
- Must be able to bend over for extended periods of time and lift 20+ pounds
- Must be comfortable working outdoors in varying weather conditions
- Must have your own transportation to the farm
- Must commit to a full day on the farm (3 hours+ driving time)
- Must be respectful of the land-- do not litter, smoke, or wander off the designated gleaning area
- Passionate about food is a plus!
What to Bring (Required)
- Close-toed shoes.
What to Bring (Optional)
- Hats, long sleeves, long pants, and garden gloves.
- Tick repellent (contains DEET).
- Bags (if you would like to buy your own produce from the farmer).
- 1584 Snowden Rd, Delaplane, VA 20144
- Follow signs to the orchard, which has a parking area. The coordinator will meet you here and show you where to sign in.
- We rely heavily on the hard work of volunteers in order to effectively serve our community. If you schedule a volunteer shift and DO NOT show up, Food for Others cannot serve the community to the best of our ability. Please notify the coordinator ( firstname.lastname@example.org) 2 days prior to a trip if you are canceling your shift.
- Is Family Friendly
- Is Outdoors
- The coordinator will be in contact with all volunteers, and will notify them if weather related issues require the event to be canceled.
1584 Snowden RdDelaplane, VA 20144
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 6
- Time spent on this opportunity will include driving time to/from 1584 Snowden Rd, Delaplane, VA 20144 and 2-3 hours on the farm.
- All minors must be supervised by an adult.