23 people are interested
Foster for the SPCA of Texas
ORGANIZATION: SPCA of Texas
Please visit the new page to apply.
23 people are interested
SPCA of Texas is seeking Foster Heroes who are willing to open up their hearts and homes to an animal in need.
By becoming a Foster Hero, you will be providing one animal with a comfortable, loving home while allowing another animal to take the foster’s place at the shelter.
The SPCA of Texas has foster opportunities to suit any lifestyle! We will supply everything you need, as long as you bring the LOVE!
The more animals fostered, the more lives saved!
Please go to www.spca.org/foster to our application.
Please go to www.spca.org/fosterme to see our animals in need.
We have three types of fosters.
Open your heart and home to adoptable animals, and help them find forever homes!
- Send us great photos and bios for their online profiles.
- Promote animals online, around town, and at SPCA of Texas adoption events.
- Communicate with potential adopters and help select the perfect match.
- Average foster time: 2-3 weeks
Benefits of Adoption Ambassador Program:
- Foster parent knows more about dog than shelter ever could.
- Adopters feel more comfortable about adoption.
- Better match leads to fewer returns!
- Opens up more space in the shelter to rescue more animals.
- Rewarding experience for everyone involved.
Trust Building & Socialization Foster
Provide a safe, loving environment for animals with difficult pasts, and help them gain trust in people again.
Typically brought in by Animal Cruelty Investigations (ACI) unit.
Types of cases:
- Hoarded/neglected animals
- Cruelty Cases
- Fearful or shy animals
- Animals in need of obedience work
Benefits of Trust Building & Socialization Fostering:
- Offers a second chance to an animal whose behavior and mental states are deteriorating in the shelter.
- Provides valuable insight into what the animal is really like outside of a stressful environment.
- Allows the animal to learn what love, trust, and manners are, and experience what life should be like.
- Helps get an otherwise unavailable animal adoption-ready.
Healing & Comfort Foster
Provide animals the loving care and attention needed in a home, rather than a kennel.
Types of cases:
- Mother and litter.
- Kittens/puppies that need to grow/gain weight.
- Orphaned babies that need bottle-feeding (aka Bottle Babies).
- Animals needing rest to recover from sickness or surgery.
- Fospice care for elderly or terminal animals.
Benefits of Healing & Comfort Fostering:
- Allows animal to be in a comforting environment during an uncomfortable time.
- Ensures animal receives adequate attention and care while recovering.
- Provides valuable insight into animal’s personality outside of shelter.
- Rewarding for foster parents.
About SPCA of Texas
2400 Lone Star Dr., Dallas, TX 75212, US
The SPCA of Texas is dedicated to providing every animal exceptional care and a loving home.
The SPCA of Texas is the leading animal welfare agency in North Texas. We operate two animal shelters, located near downtown Dallas and in McKinney, which, together with our community partners for offsite adoptions, find homes for more than 6,000 animals each year. We do not euthanize animals for lack of space and we do not place time limits on animals housed in our shelters. We also operate public veterinary clinics in West Dallas, South Oak Cliff and McKinney to provide high-quality pet care at affordable prices and we collaborate with community partners to spay or neuter tens of thousands of animals each year.
In a typical year, our five-member Rescue and Investigations team responds to 2,000 calls and rescues more than 1,000 abandoned or cruelly treated animals in 8 North Texas counties. Our education and outreach programs reach more than 20,000 Texans each year with a message of compassion and responsibility.
Our independent non-profit organization is not affiliated with the ASPCA or any other humane society and we do not receive taxpayer funding. Your support helps us make life better for more than 50,000 animals and the people who love them - right here in our community.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
September 22, 2023
- Animal Care / Handling
- Animal Therapy
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- We list how long each animal will need fostering so you will know how long they will need to be fostered. You can also take a break when you need to for however long you need.