NY Volunteer Teaching Assistant - Advanced Photography Class
2 people are interested
We are looking for Teaching Assistants to help us teach the art of photography to children and teens living with cancer!
The mission of The Pablove Foundation is to invest in under-funded, cutting-edge pediatric cancer research and improve the lives of children living with cancer through the arts.
Pablove Shutterbugs, the signature art-education program of The Pablove Foundation, teaches children living with cancer to develop their creative voice through the art of photography. Our advanced course is designed for students ages 14+ who have participated in our introductory and intermediate courses. Through participation in this 10-week course, our teen alumni use advanced photography equipment to not only further their photography skills, but use their images to explore their artistic identity and what it means to be youth diagnosed with cancer. The goal of this course is for our students to walk away as advocates for pediatric cancer and be empowered to make a change in their communities through their photography. Students work together, and individually, on a series of photo projects that culminate in a gallery show curated by their class group.
Classes will be held on consecutive Saturdays: September 14 - November 16. Volunteer hours are from 9am-2pm on those Saturdays. Teaching Assistants should commit to all ten classes. Your total time commitment will be approximately 45 hours. You will be trained by staff at The Pablove Foundation and supervised by the Master Teaching Artist. There will be a 500 dollar stipend for your commitment.
This is a great opportunity for college students looking to fulfill service hours or gain hands-on experience in a classroom environment!
The primary role of the Teaching Assistant is to support and be an extension of the Master Teaching Artist in a multitude of ways, including:
- Leading small student break-out groups during in-class activities
- Working closely with the students in your group on a weekly basis using age-appropriate language and techniques to facilitate discussions regarding their projects and assignments
- Assisting students in thinking through creative approaches of how to share their journey through photography and writing
- Assist students in mastering the manual functions of their camera equipment (digital mirrorless camera)
- Weekly communication with students to ensure they are understanding and completing their assignments
- Assigned administrative duties such as taking attendance, checking in with families, and end-of-day cleanup
- Previous experience in photography is required; professional experience is a plus!
- Enthusiastic and positive attitude while working with the students
- Commit to all ten consecutive classes (Saturdays: September 14 - November 16)
- All volunteers must pass a live scan background check prior to the start of class.
- Previous working experience with youth in arts education a plus
- Bilingual skills (Spanish, Mandarin) a plus
HOW TO APPLY
- Complete the volunteer application at www.pablove.org/volunteer
- Submit your resume/website/portfolio samples to email@example.com
- Complete the following short answer statements:
- Why do you believe you are a good fit for the program?
- How have you used photography as a means of storytelling?
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or apply online at: www.pablove.org/volunteer
New York, NY 10019
- Youth Services
- Visual Arts
- Special Needs
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 50-55 hours
- Commitment to full session