Great Kills Park - Asiatic Sand Sedge Removal
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
1 person is interested
Sunday, July 28, 2019 - Asiatic Sand Sedge Removal - 10:00AM - 12:30PM
We will meet at the Great Kills Ranger Station at 10AM; this is the first building on the right side of the road, after you enter the Great Kills Park. From here vehicles will be given permits to access the Crooks Point Area. At 10:15 we will move down to the Crooks Point Parking Area and walk out to the beach where we will talk about the coastal habitat, go over procedures, and get to work using shovels to dig up the roots and rhizomes of this invasive plant.
- Please Register Prior to Event to Receive Important Updates & Volunteer Waiver
- To register call or email Park Ranger, Joseph Roth: (718) 819-7574 | Joseph_Roth@NPS.gov
- Day of Staff Contact: Park Ranger, Joseph Roth: (954) 547-1657
- What to Bring:
- Water to stay hydrated and your own reusable water bottle
- Sturdy, closed-toe shoes (preferably hiking boots or durable shoes)
- Clothing that can get dirty (preferably long pants and socks to keep you protected).
- Sun & Insect Protection: hat, sunblock, long sleeves, insect repellent
- Snacks to keep you going!
- Age Requirement:
- All persons under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult or in possession of the signed Volunteer Agreement Form with the signature of their parent or legal guardian.
- Meeting Locations:
- Great Kills Park: Ranger Station (first building on the right after entering the park)
- For Additional Volunteer Opportunities in Gateway National Recreation Area visit: https://www.nps.gov/gate/getinvolved/volunteer.htm
206 Buffalo StGreat Kills Park Ranger StationStaten Island, NY 10306
- Habitat Restoration
- Environmental Education
- People 55+
- 2.5 Hours
- What to Bring: Water to stay hydrated and your own reusable water bottle Sturdy, closed-toe shoes (preferably hiking boots or durable shoes) Clothing that can get dirty (preferably long pants and socks to keep you protected). Sun & Insect Protect