Elgin Hospice Legacy Patient Support/Companion Volunteer
Legacy Patient Support/Companion volunteers work directly with Rainbow Hospice patients and families to provide support to patients in-home, at the Inpatient Unit, or in a Long Term Care Facility. Legacy volunteers and Veteran's History Project (VHP) volunteers are able to listen to history from the voice of the observer. Volunteers are provided with the equipment and training to assist with capturing the life stories of our patients through interviews. These stories can provide great comfort to families. In addition, VHP recordings will be archived with the Library of Congress to provide a permanent national record.
Because of the direct patient and family interaction, all of these positions require Patient Support/Companion and Family Support volunteers to go through specialized Patient Care Training. This process teaches you about hospice and terminal illness and helps prepare volunteers to interact with and support our patients and families.
Responsibilities may include:
- Assists the patient/family by providing respite, friendly visits, or essential services i.e. errands, shopping, light housekeeping, etc.
- Offers emotional support, companionship and supportive listening to patient/family.
- Serves as an integral member of the Hospice interdisciplinary team.
- Assist team and provides input to the plan of care as appropriate.
- Documents volunteer time and patient visit activity in an accurate, timely and objective manner.
- Maintains open communication, reporting regularly to the volunteer coordinator.
- Participates in bereavement follow-up with families, as appropriate.
- Maintains confidentiality at all times.
- Adheres to Rainbow Hospice policies and procedures.
- Completes the mandatory annual education.
- Meets all health requirements set by Rainbow Hospice.
- Participates in volunteer support and educational in-services.
- Assists in training of new volunteers as appropriate.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Successful adjustment to personal losses and no personal loss within past 12 months.
- Successful completion of volunteer training program.
- Clearance from appropriate health screenings, background check, fingerprinting.
- Agree to mandatory policy statements.
- Minimum commitment of 1 year of service; at least 3-4 hours per week.
- Supportive of hospice concept, and willing to serve others in a volunteer capacity.
- Comfortable working with families with different cultural and religious values.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Previous volunteer experience preferred.
- Independent means of transportation.
We'll work with your schedule.
Volunteer near your homeElgin, IL 60120
- Visual Arts
- Bereavement Support
- Patient Care
- Hospice Care
- Veteran Care
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 3 to 4 hours/week, Days, Evenings, Weekends
- RB Paid Costs, At Home Online Train, Physical, Drug & TB Test, Fingerprint, Good Transportation