Volunteer to make a difference and help an international teen!
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
DONATE TO THIS
Earn the Presidential Volunteer Service Award by hosting a foreign exchange student! You can earn up to 25 hours per week. This looks great on college applications and job resumes.
ETC works with the U.S. Department of State to find homes for foreign exchange students coming to the USA on a J-1 visa. We have students arriving from 15 different countries, ages 14-18, who are looking for an American family to share this once in a lifetime experience with.
What does being a host family entail?
- Ensure a safe and nurturing home environment for the student
- Provide students with a room (can be shared with a similar aged host sibling) & his/her own bed
- 3 meals per day
- Transportation to and from school and for extracurricular activities
- Give love and support to the student
- Families with or without children are accepted
What are the students like?
- Bring their own spending money and health insurance
- Have good English skills
- Are highly screened for the program
- Excited to meet their American family!
Why should we become a host family?
- Learn a new culture by tasting new foods, listening to new music, and speaking a new language
- Share your culture with an exchange student
- Add another member to your family
- Help an exchange student get an American education and the experience of a lifetime!
Still not convinced? See what The Rogers Family (former host family) has to say about their experience:
"Our exchange student has been such a blessing in our lives. We had no idea we were missing anything until she came into our lives. Having a host daughter has made us laugh harder than we ever have before. It’s been so special to see my kids love her, bond with her, and my daughter’s closest confident in a time of her life. She has become not just a daughter to me, but my friend."
About Education Travel & Culture
1029 SW Washington Street, Portland, OR 97205, US
Education Travel & Culture (ETC) is a top-rated non-profit [501(c)(3)] educational exchange organization. Our purpose is to promote international understanding and goodwill by providing high quality educational and cultural exchange programs in the United States and abroad.
ETC provides inbound program opportunities for high school students throughout the world to study in an American high school and live with an American family. ETC's outbound program offers students the chance to study and live in a foreign country. Education Travel & Culture is a unique, personalized organization whose first goal is to provide exceptional support for both students and host families through a network of local coordinators and dedicated office staff.
GilbertGilbert, SC 29054
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Youth Services
- Community Outreach
- People Skills
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 25
- Orientation or Training
- This position starts anywhere from 6 weeks as a welcome family, all the way up to 10 months.
- You must have a valid driver’s license and be able to pass a background check.